Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am experiencing flashes on the right side of my right eye.

Customer Question
Can you tell me what...
I am experiencing flashes on the right side of my right eye. Can you tell me what might cause this and is this serious?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Eye
12/15/2017
Eye Doctor: onlinedoc, General Physician replied 2 months ago
onlinedoc
onlinedoc, General Physician

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Please provide some additional information.

Do you suffer from a headache, dizziness, blurred vision?

Watering of the eye, itching, pain?

Duration of symptoms?

Any other medical illness like Hypertension, etc?

Are you taking any medicines?

Lack of sleep?

Stress and anxiety issue?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back to the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

I do take 2 high blood pressure medicine-one AM one PM--no pain, Itching, blurred vision. Symptom is momentary--1second maybe--not continuous, just here and there quick flash. No lack of sleep today. I also take sertaline, and simvistatin. I have a little cough starting today.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.
Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, it is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment ( PVD )-the thick gel at the back of the eye gets detached from its surrounding retina which results in the symptom of flashes of light.

More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes.

As you don't have any other symptoms so you should do cool compresses on the affected eye and use of OTC Lubricating eye drops 2-4 times a day.

Also, your blood pressure should be checked.

You should maintain a good hydration.

And take Mucinex DM for a cough.

In case of persistent and increasing flashes of light with dizziness, a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision, blurred or double vision then visit an emergency room.

"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Respected customer,
Do you have any other follow up question?
May I help you more?
Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Waiting for your reply.

onlinedoc
onlinedoc
onlinedoc, General Physician