Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I was at the hospital yesterday for a colonoscopy. All was…

Customer Question
I was at the...

I was at the hospital yesterday for a colonoscopy. All was well, but the oxygen for the nose was hurting my left nostril when I came to. It hurt all day and my left nostril won't stop running. My left eye runs as much. It seems to be slowing a little, but now my eye is getting puffy. Vision is good and it

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eye itchy?

It has been since I left yesterday 10 am. It is not itchy nor ozzing, just water.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I am healthy on no meds for anything. I am 65. Is there something I can do here at home.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Eye
12/12/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing it sounds like that the oxygen likely irritated the lining of the nasal cavity and also cause mild irritation of the lacrimal ducts (tear ducts) of the eye. This can occur in some patients because of the oxygen, however, this is a transient effect. Usually, the symptoms should start to settle down within 3-4 days at the most.

In the meantime, you should start using OTC antihistamines like Claritin, Zyrtec or Benadryl which can help in reducing the watering from the eye. Using OTC anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen can also be effective.

Now, if the swelling around the eye worsens or if you start developing redness in the eye, blurring of vision or pus from the eye then you should get evaluated for possible infection in the region such as conjunctivitis but in the meantime try the above two medications and see if that helps.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor