Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Are accommodating lenses an option after an epiretinal peel?

What is the suggested wait...
Are accommodating lenses an option after an epiretinal peel? What is the suggested wait time to have cataract surgery after a peel has been done?
12/12/2017
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr

Welcome to just answer

After the epiretinal peel is done, ideally there should be a gap of 3 months before any eye surgery to prevent chances of macular oedema (oedema in the area where epiretinal membrane is usually present). Macula is the most sensitive part of retina and is responsible for our fine vision.

You can definitely go for accommodation lens, but the benefit depends on the status of retina after the epiretinal peeling. That is usually determined on the OCT scan. If the retina is normal and there is no fluid collection below the retina, then you can go ahead with the accommodation lens.

Hope this information is helpful. Kindly do get back with further queries.

Regards

If there is fluid below the retina, is a multi focal lens still an option? What options do I have if there is fluid? Or is there a way to eliminate the fluid collection?

if there is fluid below retina, then first you need to be treated for that. The treatment options are Intravireal injection (injection in the vitreous cavity in front of retina) Bevacizumab depending on the amount of edema. Once the edema goes down, you can go for multifocal lens also.

If the edema persists, then the vision will not be sharp irrespective of any intraocular lens implanted. The response of intravitreal injection varies from patient to patient

Only in cases where cataract is very advanced, cataract surgery is done before treating the macular edema.

Regards

MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr
MD Doc
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr