Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have Pellucid, which is basically an irregular cornea. I…

Customer Question
I have Pellucid, which...

I have Pellucid, which is basically an irregular cornea. I also have cataracts and a strong astigmatism in both eyes.

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

A month ago, I had the cataract removed in my left eye and a new astigmatism lens put in. I can tell the vision is better, however I have a number of issues that prevent me from seeing clearly. The primary issues are that I see everything thru a “film”, like a white cloud. So even if the bision is corrected, I can’t see because of this “film”. Also, the haloing around lights, especially at night is about 5 or 6 times worse than the other eye so driving at night is impossible. I recently returned to surgeon’s office to get measuements to have surgery on my right eye and the surgeon said there was scar tissue and a “wrinkle” on the left eye. He didn’t seem at all concerned and said he could do a laser procedure that would resolve the 2 issues.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

That was 2 days ago and my vision still isn’t any better. I’m concernef about having the right eye operated on and wonder if the left eye will get better with a little more time. BYW, my surgeon is a Corneal specialist in a major city and has excellent credentials.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Eye
12/11/2017
Eye Doctor: MD Doc, Dr replied 8 months ago
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr

Hi

Welcome to just answer

From the history that you have given, there are two factors that are affecting your vision - cataract and pellucid corneal degeneration.

In the left eye the cataract has been removed, so one factor affecting vision has been removed. The corneal degeneration is still there and would keep on affecting your vision. The film like feeling is because of the corneal degeneration. In the right eye, it seems the degeneration is more severe (scar) and you have cataract as well.

Driving at night would be a challenge initially because due to corneal degeneration, the surface of your cornea is not smooth. The light falling on your cornea will get diffracted and will cause some amount of glare. The intraocular lens implanted in your eye also contributes to some amount of glare, but that resolves slowly with time.

To help reduce this glare and film like vision - use frequent lubricating eye drops or eye gel, which will help in smoothning the anterior part of your cornea to some extent. If you are already using them, then increase their frequency and sodium hyaluronate lubricating eye drops are specially helpful in patients like you. Since you have a good cornea specialist, I am presuming you have been fitted with the best contact lens. These are the two things that help in improving vision in a patient with corneal degeneration like yours.

As the lubrication and the anterior surface of the cornea improves, your vision will improve slowly, but would not be 100% (as would have been explained by your doctor).

Hope this information is helpful, do get back with more queries.

Regards

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too! Cheers