Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

When i turn my head i see a streak of light in both eyes.

Customer Question
When i turn my...

When i turn my head i see a streak of light in both eyes

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?

Not turning my head

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do have neck issues but my neck us nit sore tonight

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Eye
My eye us twitching slighly
hello?
are you there??
12/7/2017
Eye Doctor: MD Doc, Dr replied 7 months ago
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr

Welcome to just answer

Seeing a streak of light generally, and on turning your head in a particular position can be due to various reasons -

- vitreous detachment. We have a thick jelly like fluid in the posterior part of eye globe, which is attached to retina. In some people, the vitreous gets detached from the retina and is seen as dots or thread or spider web. These are called floaters. When the vitreous is getting detached from the retina, it can cause flashes of light. But these usually do not occur on a particular movement of the head.

- nerve compression - when moving the head in one direction, a nerve can get compressed in the spinal cord at the base of neck. This can cause flashes of light

- muscle spasm - again a muscle spasm in the neck area can press upon a nerve and cause similar symptoms

- migraine - ocular migraine is a rare kind of migraine, in which patient might not have a headache, but can have eye symptoms like flashes of light, floaters etc.

I would recommend you to consult your medical specialist initially to rule out the above possibilities. If on examination, there is no involvement of the muscles or nerves in upper spinal cord, then you would need to consult an Ophthalmologist for an eye evaluation.

In the meantime, try not to do any strenuous activity and do not lift any heavy weights. Avoid using a pillow while sleeping or a thin one if not comfortable without a pillow

Hope this information is helpful, do get back with further queries.

Regards

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Cheers