Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Is there an ophthalmologist available? I am having trouble…

Customer Question
Hello, is there an ophthalmologist...
Hello, is there an ophthalmologist available?
I am having trouble with continuing dry eye, red eyes, tight stiff eye muscles and blurry vision. Recently, my eyes have been watering mostly when I wake up and this morning I have big huge eye bags or puffiness??? I don’t notice any crustiness. Thanks! I am kind of in a panic.
Kris
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Eye
12/6/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today. I'm sorry that you are having problems with your eyes.

First, please try to relax, this is not a problem that is going to cause you to lose your vision. The watery, red eyes, associated with dry eyes (tight stiff eye muscles) may be allergic or dry eye syndrome. The puffy bags is a different cosmetic problem.

May I suggest you schedule an appointment with an Ophthalmologist for evaluation. You should not go to an Optometrist for these problems. Then purchase an over the counter eye drop such as Visine Allergy or any other brand available. This will help with both the dry eye and the redness and watery discharge until you are evaluated by the eye doctor. There are many over the counter treatments for "bags" most of which are not effective. This is why I suggest an Ophthalmologist as they can perform surgical procedures to completely remove the "bags."

I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Hello, I found this attachment online? Also, why would I wake up with the swollen bags? Seems like some sort of inflammation!
Thanks,
Kris

Thank you for sending the picture. The bags they are referring to is secondary to an infection in the eye. If no infection (conjunctivitis, blepharitis) then the cause could either be dry eyes syndrome or more commonly with aging, the tissues around your eyes, including some of the muscles supporting your eyelids, weaken. Normal fat that helps support the eyes can then move into the lower eyelids, causing the lids to appear puffy. Fluid also may accumulate in the space below your eyes, adding to the swelling. This is cosmetic and can be treated. Cool packs applied to the eyes and cheeks may help reduce the swelling or you can consider surgery to remove the excess tissue and eliminate the "bags" totally.

How do you know if you have Rosacea of the eyes?

Rosacea is a skin condition that causes redness, warm feeling and "bumps." Your picture, history and description does not cause consideration of having Rosacea. If you have another area chin, cheeks that you would like to send a picture for review.

What picture? I can hardly open my eyes and now have darkness in the corners of my eyes too? Just another cosmetic thing I guess, right?

I'm asking that you attach a picture of your face so I can see your condition.

I don’t think these pictures show the redness and darkness very well. Also, my friend said her Dr said her Dr said the darkness could mean a detached retina?

Thank you for your pictures. I see a very slight redness on your nose which may or may not be Rosacea. Darkness under the eyes is NOT a detached retina. "Bags" or discoloration under your eyes is caused by fatigue, allergies as the most common causes. I can't determine if you have Rosacea, you would need to see a doctor preferably a Dermatologist to make that determination.

I think her Dr was referring to darkness in the corners of the eye next to the nose. Not under the eye.thats what I am talking about.
I have been diagnosed wiith roscea already on my face Just found out recently it can go in your eyes too?

Rosacea does not affect the eyes only the skin on your cheeks, nose and sometimes forehead. The cause is unknown but there is treatment with topical medication and Laser treatment(s) can also be used to treat.

There is ocular rosacea?

What you are describing is not ocular Rosacea which is a presumptive diagnosis only in patients who have significant symptoms of Rosacea, which you do not have. The diagnosis is rarely used. Ocular rosacea can cause red, itchy eyes and swollen eyelids.Your eyes also might look bloodshot and burn or sting. You might feel like you have a bit of sand in them all the time. A blast of cold air can make them water. And you might see little pimples in the rim of your eye or eyelid called styes.

I have the bloodshot eyes and burning! They are watery in the morning and feel hard to open.

May I suggest you schedule an appointment with an Ophthalmologist for prescription medication that may include antibiotic-steroid combination, lubricating eyedrops. As I said, this is a presumptive diagnosis based on a previous diagnosis of Rosacea, which you said you have. The pictures you sent of your eyes do not appear to indicate ocular rosacea, so a slit lamp examination is the only way to even consider this very rare diagnosis.

Hi, sorry I haven’t been able to see an eye doctor, yet. I don’t know if I mentioned this before, but my eye muscles are so stiff abs I feel like I can hardly keep them open? My vision is blurry, too. I’ve had this for quite awhile, but it’s a lot worse lately.
I don’t know what is happening?
Thanks,
Kris

Hi Kris,

You really do need to see an Ophthalmologist. Please make it a priority so you can find out exactly what's wrong and have the problem resolved. It would be great if I could do this for you, but that is impossible without a complete examination.