Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I just started getting light flashes on the outer side of…

Customer Question
I just started getting light...
I just started getting light flashes on the outer side of left eye and floaters. I am 64 years old and had some occasional floaters before but not the flashes. I went to emergency room at Mass Eye and in inBoston .After seeing two docs. One a retina specialist and dilating my eyes they said the retina was fine and no signs of detachment. These occur often when turning my head. I am nervous about this . Any thoughts??
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Eye
12/5/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today. I'm sorry that you are experiencing flashes and floaters. I'm glad that after the retinal specialist examined you, you were not found to have a retinal detachment. Flashes and floaters are common at your age and do not necessarily indicate any pathology in your eyes. The only other possible cause is a 6th nerve palsy, but that is very doubtful since you don't have any double vision. May I suggest you schedule an appointment for re-examination in 6 months. Until then, wearing a lens with yellow tint at night (night driving glasses) when driving will minimize the flashes. As far as the floaters, again these are normal.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Any additional questions, thoughts?