Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I had a glycerol rhizotomy for TN this past Tuesday. I’m…

Customer Question
I had a glycerol...

I had a glycerol rhizotomy for TN this past Tuesday. I’m having increased pain like I experienced before the procedure. My pain is somewhat atypical because it’s deep in my left ear. I had a MVD 2 years ago which took care of my left eye pain. However, the surgeon is questioning whether I have some glosso-pharyngeal nerve involvement. I have a lot of numbness since Tuesday’s procedure - my left tongue, left throat, left face and outer left ear.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

Last night I started having mouth watering that left big wet spots on my pillow, or when sleeping on my back, woke me up coughing and choking. Everything that I read doesn’t mention numbness to this extent, mouth-watering, or increased pain. I have pain when moving my jaw or tongue (in the left ear). I have a new pain in the left temple. Have you ever heard of any of these symptoms? Eating/swallowing is a problem.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have ankylosing spondylitis but that shouldn’t be affecting it. I’m on methotrexate, Symponi and a number of other Rx. I’m taking Tegretol for the TN and should be able to start weaning it down, but don’t dare to. I’m really miserable.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Eye
12/3/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having these symptoms after a rhizotomy procedure for your trigeminal neuralgia.

it sounds like you are having swelling around your trigeminal nerve causing more pain and numbness and overproduction of saliva.

are you still carbamazepine for your TN?

you may benefit from a course of prednisone steroids to help decrease swelling in your trigeminal nerve