Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am getting a flash of light in my right eye when I turn…

Customer Question
Hello,I am getting a...

Hello,I am getting a flash of light in my right eye when I turn the eyes right and left and up and down Canyou advise please David

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

Excellent vision no glasses am male 82 yo

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Copd kidney stones

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Eye
12/2/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

How long has this been going on?

Do you notice any vision changes?

Have you ever had any eye surgery?

2 hours no and no
no
thanks
where was the answer sent ,didn't come on my email
no answer received

Just taking a phone call -- I'm on call this weekend :)

Even though you did not mention any floaters I believe you are experiencing retinal traction from your vitreous. Please allow me to explain:

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, or a decrease in your vision that doesn't improve in a few minutes this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I only do this procedure to remove floaters in extreme cases.

In January 2013 a new drug, called Ocriplasmin, was approved by the FDA to dissolve vitreous strands in a particular eye condition called vitreomacular traction. Perhaps someday this drug could be used to also remove floaters…. Only time will tell.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Say Hi to the Southern Cross for me. Viewing it with my own eye is on my bucket list ;)

Thanks Dr will see my eye expert

My pleasure, Mate.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

.