Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Rick :)My friend also has astigmatism of around -1 in his…

Hello doctor rick :)My friend...
Hello doctor rick :)My friend also has astigmatism of around -1 in his eyes and myopia of around -5 in both eyes . His number has stabilised and he's been getting regular check ups . However for some time , maybe cuz of astig and myopia , he sometimes experiences blueish rings around lights sometimes. They come and go in like a second . He's got a dilated eye exam and a brain MRI as well and both have come or fine. His eyes otherwise are fine and healthy according to the doctors . Could this be a side effect of astig ? He's very anxious as well even though the docs have told him that there's no abnormality in the eye . His eye pressure is also normal . Please tell me what I should tell him to help him relax
I'd like Dr Rick's opinion . Thank you
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/29/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Morning clinic is backing up. I will get back online as soon as my "day job" allows ;)

Sure doc . Looking forward to hear from you

This might be from his astigmatism or he may have an anterior segment dry/eye problem. Please allow me to explain:

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production and the use of a medication called restasis to improve your tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose. If this does not give relief then your eyelid opening can be made smaller with surgery (lateral Tarsorrhaphy).

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I understand that this treatment seems a bit "too low tech" to be of value, but after 2 decades of clinical practice, I can assure you (even from personal experience :) that it does, indeed, work.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Okay doctor . But he's gone through a dilated eye exam .... and it has come out negative meaning everything is fine and they've categorically cleared his eyes . Should be panic? Is he going to go blind or something?
Would blepharitis not show up in a dilated eye exam?
his vision over all is fine . Like me he also experiences occasional flickers but on your advice I've told him that's it's normal and he should just keep getting regular eye check ups and relax. Doctor he's quite overwhelmed and thinks this might add up to something disastrous later on in life ,,, should he be panicked? The optjomologist abd rerinal surgeon both be assured him that his eyes are healthy except for his astig and myopia. What to do ? He's very confused
I hope it's not Fuchs or anything ... but that should've come out in the dilated eye exam ... very worried doctor

No, he should not panic.
I very much doubt he is going blind

Blepharitis can be missed on a busy clinic visit....

He should relax and, if necessary, get help with his anxiety over this issue.

Don't talk to The Evil Dr. Google! I doubt Fuchs would be missed on exam.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Doctor I very mouth doubt that it's blephiritis as there's no eyelid inflammation . He has occasional dryness . But doctor he's been having this for the past 5 years . And during these 5 years he's been going through regular eye check ups like visual acuity and fundus copy and more recently the dilated eye exam . If there was any corneal abnormality like Fuchs , wether initial or already conceived that would've been detected . I hope he doesn't go into his forties with some sort of irreversible eye damage . He's a friend of mine and I am equally concerned . Though I might think it might be just astigmatism at best . I've heard that the side effects of astigmatism increase with age .
Let me know if he should be on the lookout for something

Will do.

Doctor what do you think it is ? Do you believe it could be astigmatism as well? Or dry eyes ????

It is nothing to worry about.

Could be dry eyes; could be blepharitis.

Yeah doctor could be dry eyes along with astig . I have dry eyes as well occasionally especially in the winter months . These symptoms tend to intensify during that time when you have dry eyes . Including light sensitivity

That could do it :)

.