Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Very concerned and upset at the moment. Around the end of…

Customer Question
Very concerned and upset...

Very concerned and upset at the moment. Around the end of september, beginning of October, I developed cold/flu like symptoms for about a week. With this I had a very chesty cough. Doctor prescribed antibiotics for the cough with mostly cleared. I felt a bit off everynow and then, with hot and cold wheather. I also developed a tickly throat, with itchy eye and nose. My nose was blocked mostly and I lost my sense of smell. Went to chemist and was given an antihisimine which sort of helped, however with the scratchy throat, I also had very bad heartburn, which I do suffer from. I had a CABG 5 years ago and have had heartburn off and on ever since. Both my father and mother also have it. The reflux was so bad that it would end up in my throat. I was coughing quite abit and the cough was dry, to clear mucus to sometimes yellow. Anyway at one stage I had sore neck glands, but had no problems swallowing and did not feel ill. Sometimes had headache and itchy nose. I recently visited another doctor and was told I may have post nasal drip. I generally am a bit phlemy and have been as I've become older. I am 55 years old. I was also under extreme stress due to possible loss of job, which did happen. So wasn't feeling the best with typical stress symptoms. I left this job around 2nd november. Not sure when but would have been around a week before, I accidentally coughed very close to a colleague. around a week to two weeks ago, she developed glandular fever and is in hospital with complications. She was only with the organisation around september october. Prior to me becoming ill, another colleague was sick and ended up with pneumonia, she has also since had upper respiritory infection causing heart failure. she is on the mend but may have liver issues. She is ok and back at work. Another colleague had a series of severe coughing very similar to my coughs. She apparently had 3 viruses according to her doctor. Sorry for this lengthy description, but I wanted to provide a background. Very upsetting situation. If you can shed some light, that would help.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Initially nausea when I had the flu, but I think that was more nerves than anything, as when i was at the doctor it subsided.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Headaches only in temples. Mother has sinus issues and takes sinus spray. Father has heartburn and quite often takes gaviscon. I have been taking gaviscon tablets and between leaving working and taking these, I have not had any further hearburn. I have been given the same by my doctor. However, when ever I think of the Glandular fever situation, no job and financial issues, I become very stressed.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/29/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time, so ill try to quickly answer this for you. Just to clarify, what is your current question? Is it about the persistent symptoms of productive cough or heartburn?

Is now a cough with a post nasal drip

Thanks for the additional information, sorry for the late response but I was offline managing patients in the ICU,

Anyway coming to your question, the presence of a cough and post nasal drip clearly indicates that you have developed a sinus infection. This is a very common cause of these symptoms and this would also explain the loss of smell, the repeated episodes of a cough and also the headaches etc. A sinus infection can cause all of these symptoms. It basically causes inflammation of the lining of the sinuses which leads to increased production of mucus which in turn drips down into the throat. It can also cause the scratchy feeling in the back of the throat. This would be diagnosed on a simple clinical examination and also a sinus x-ray. If necessary a CT scan of the sinuses can also be done. In most cases a simple course of antibiotics would be helpful in clearing out the infection, sometimes steroids can also be used to decrease the inflammation. Additionally, sinus lavages can also be done along with decongestants. In most cases these interventions help in curing you of the infection however in some severe chronic infections, there may be a requirement to clean the sinuses surgically with the help of an endoscope.

So the first steps here are the following,

Clinical examination

Sinus Xray

CT scan of the sinuses

Which should be accompanied by,

OTC decongestants

OTC saline lavages of the sinuses

OTC antihistamines like Zyrtec or Claritin.

Once the tests are done you can be started on steroids or antibiotics if necessary.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.