Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Has lasik to correct near sightedness 16 years ago.

Customer Question
Has lasik to correct...

Has lasik to correct near sightedness 16 years ago. Excellent results. Over time vision got blurry. Had a second lasik on Sept 22, 2017. This time they did monovision. After 7 weeks vision was still quite blurry. Dr. prescribed using Prednisolone Acetate drops for an additional 21 days yet vision is still not good. They say the mono vision can be reversed yet others warn having a 3rd lasik is dangerous. I don't want to wear contact lenses. What are my options?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Have you been having any headaches?

It has been 9 weeks since the mono vision lasik. I have had a few headaches.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing else

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Eye
11/27/2017
Eye Doctor: MD Doc, Dr replied 4 months ago
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr

Welcome to just answer

Given the detailed history, first of all the reason for the blurring of vision needs to be found out. If the use of prednisolone eye drops was extended, then is your eye surgeon still suspecting some residual oedema in the cornea (where LASIK is performed)? If yes, then the oedema needs to be taken care off. Usually oedema does not persist for such long periods, but in cases of Re-LASIK, it can occur.

If the oedema is resolved, then you need to check if blurring and headache is present when you have both eyes open. Close one eye at a time and check your vision. If the eyes are seeing normal for the distances (far and near) they have been corrected, then the blurring is because your brain has not yet adjusted to the monovision with both eyes open. It can take 3 weeks to 6 months in some cases to adjust to monovision correction.

But if the blurring is there when one of the eyes are closed, then it indicates that the correction was not complete in either or both eyes. A third LASIK definitely holds its chances of complications since your cornea will become extremely thin. Even if you are planning for third LASIK, that cannot be done till 6 months after the last LASIK. In that case, the options are glasses or contact lens depending on vision of which eye is blurry - for far or near.

I can understand your frustration. I would recommend you to wait and let your eyes and brain adjust to monovision correction. If there is still no improvement in the next month or so, then you need to think of further options.

Hope this information is helpful

Regards

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Cheers

MD Doc
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr