Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Do you guys have the ability to call in a prescription for…

Customer Question
Do you guys have...

Do you guys have the ability to call in a prescription for me?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

After we talk about it. We have pink-eye in the house and a throat infection..

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I think it's fine. thanks.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Eye
11/27/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

The same virus that can cause pink eye can also cause other symptoms such as a sore throat.

Since this is a self limiting viral infection no prescription is necessary nor will it affect the virus at all.

Here is some information you might find helpful:

It sounds like you have viral conjunctivitis, also called pink eye. As this is caused by a virus no antibiotics are necessary as they only treat bacteria, not viruses. You should use cold compresses and natural tears as often as you want to soothe your eyes. This infection usually runs its course in two weeks or so.

This is because pink eye is caused by a virus and just has to run its course. It may spread to your other eye. This is very common and is nothing to worry about.

You should use cold compresses and natural tears as often as you want to soothe your eyes. Bion tears is very good brand name but any artificial tears will work just fine.

It is also very contagious so make sure to wash your hands well, don't share towels etc. It is likely that other members of your household will catch this.....But not to worry, in the vast majority of cases the infection resolves without any residual effects.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS