Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 37yo female with noticeable dropping of my right

Customer Question
eyelid. There is no pain...
I am a 37yo female with noticeable dropping of my right eyelid. There is no pain but I feel the weight of the skin over my eyelid. I have had some light sensitivity and blurred vision. I have seen my eye dr and retina specialist prior to the eyebrow dropping and was told my eyes are healthy. What could be causing the sudden dropping of the lid in one eye?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Eye
11/24/2017
Eye Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 5 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

There are many causes

Have you seen a medical doctor about this?

I had a CT/CTA of head and neck done 2 months ago as well as MRI/MRA of the brain around the same time for complaints of new headache and blurred vision. All scans came back clear. I also saw my eye doctor and a retina specialist who both cleared me of any issues with the eye. My eyebrow was not droopy at that time. This new symptom has only developed in the last week.

So you have seen a neurologist I take it, or just your regular doctor?

I saw a neurologist a little more than 2 months ago. My eye was not drooping at this time.

I do not see pathologic drooping in this picture.

I see normal assymatry.

What does your doctor say? Does he agree with this?

I have not been able to see a dr since the eyebrow has dropped.
It shows more clearly in person but if I look down the difference is more noticeable in the photo

In the picture I am seeing a swollen left eyelid

The right eyelid is higher than the left, and I see no problem with the eyebrows

What was your doctors conclusion about the eyelids?

Again, I have not seen a dr for this problem as it has just occurred in the last 4 days and I have been unable to get an appointment.
You are also viewing the picture flipped as I took it facing myself. So what you see as “left” eye is actually my right.

OK, great.

What I see is a blepharitis, swelling of the eyelid probably from allergy, or other source of inflammation such as bacteria. Have you heard this term or had any treatment for that diagnosis?

I am not familiar with this, no. There is no pain and no redness.

Do you wear eye makeup?

OK.

What I see here is not a classic ptosis, but rather swelling of one lid more than another.

Allergy or contact sensitivity would be the most common cause and it does not have to happen to both lids.

If infection, the base of the eyelids should be swabbed and sent to the lab to culture and determine if this is the case.

I do not think, given your work up, that this is stroke or other neurological problem, although sometimes viral infection of the nerve can cause this as well.

I would run all of this by hour doctor, today on the phone if possible, and then in person, obviously.

If it progresses, to urgent care.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also: Hopefully this helps and I have earned a 5 rating from you today. [This has to be clicked on the rating scale on your page.] A 5 rating specifically allows me to have full credit and continue my accurate service as well as providing follow up to you as needed, and it costs you nothing more. Thanks.

Wouldn’t an infection also present with redness, discharge or itching? There are no other symptoms aside from the “swelling”.
Is it possibly indicative of aneurysm? Would that have any other key symptoms?

No, this would not at all be consistent with aneurysm.

You can have chronic infection without redness or pain.

It depends on your immunity.

Clearly, neurological exam is negative.

I suggest you go back to an opthalmologist and mention blepharitis.

OK, let me know if you have more questions. I am here.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician