Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I having been having some pain down the left side of my

Customer Question
Hi Pearl I having been...

Hi Pearl
I having been having some pain down the left side of my head, it feels like it is coming from my jaw but also radiates behind my eye and to the back of my head/ear .
I have previously had some work done on my teeth in September and thought it could be connected but I returned to the dentist last week and see advise they look fine. I am not sure whats causing this or what I should do/

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Episodic, I don't have any nausea but have lost my appetite

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing that seems related

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Eye
How long does it take to get a response, you had advised you would be connecting me directly to a doctor?
11/23/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 7 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear your health in the form of the above mentioned symptoms. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see the types of symptoms you have been having themselves are not diagnostic for any particular single health condition. Rather there could be multiple underlying health conditions that can cause similar types of symptoms you have been having, and I will provide you below with a list of such conditions;

This is a list of various underlying health conditions that can cause the types of symptoms you have been having;

TMJ (Temporo mandibular joint) syndrome or disorder – since this also involves the jaw region too

Tension type headaches

Tight muscles or muscle tension in the head & jaw region

Temporal arteritis (inflammation of an artery on the side of the head)

Arthritis in the spine

Disc problems in the spine

Pinched spinal nerves in the cervical spine (neck region)

Vitamin deficiencies (Vitamin B12, Vitamin B9/Folate, Vitamin D, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6 deficiencies)

Electrolyte disturbances/Mineral deficiency

Endocrine disorders such as thyroid gland dysfunctions

Certain Inflammatory conditions

Certain Chronic infections etc

Please see I am not telling all these above health conditions are applicable in your case, I am mainly trying to provide you with a list of various possibilities based on what we see in our clinical practice to explain these types of new symptoms you have been having, these are just the various possibilities to consider to explain these types of symptoms you have been having, however not all of the above possibilities may be applicable in your case.

As you see above there are several possibilities and this needs to be further evaluated and investigated to find out the precise cause for these symptoms. In this regard, if not already done please try to see a neurologist in the clinic, so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination in the clinic followed by certain relevant neurological investigations too, that may include some of the following;

MRI Scan of the brain

MRI Scan of the cervical spine (spine corresponding to the neck region)

MRI of the Jaw region

Blood tests such as the following ones;

Comprehensive metabolic panel (general medical & metabolic tests)

CPK, Aldolase, LDH (muscle enzyme tests)

Vitamin B12, Folic acid, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B1, Vitamin D (Vitamin deficiency tests)

TSH, T3, T4 (thyroid tests)

ESR & CRP (to check for inflammation, as well as for Temporal arteritis mentioned earlier above)

Lyme antibodies (to check for any underlying infections) etc

The above mentioned are the various investigations that are usually required and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results. Please see I am not telling all the above mentioned investigations are required or are applicable in your case. After a thorough examination in the clinic the neurologist will be in a position to decide which of the above investigations are required in your case. And also if any of the above mentioned investigations have already been done then there is no need to repeat them again, rather the focus needs to be on those investigations that have not already been done.

In the meantime you may try some of the following symptomatic treatments that can help you with getting relief from these symptoms you are experiencing;

A) General measures or self-care measures or home remedies such as the following;

Adequate rest

Sufficient sleep

Adequate fluid intake

Nutritious diet

Daily exercises

Over the counter Pain medications

Over the counter pain relieving ointments (muscle rubs)

Hot or Cold Compress

Epsom salt compress

Massage therapy etc

B) If symptoms do not improve with the above therapeutic interventions then the following additional treatment measures can be considered;

Stronger prescription anti-inflammatory painkillers like Tramadol

Nerve-pain pills like Gabapentin, or Amitriptyline

Muscle relaxants like Baclofen, or Tizanidine

A course of oral steroids

Steroid Iontophoresis

Narcotic pain killer such as Hydrocodone or Codeine containing pain meds

Ultrasound therapy

TENS (Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation)

Interferential therapy

Laser therapy (Cold laser therapy or Low Level Laser Therapy)

CES (Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation) treatment

Acupuncture etc

I am not telling all these above mentioned treatments are required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with various treatment options that are available for your condition and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried.

To summarize once again;

1) Please see there are many possibilities that can cause the type of new symptoms you have been having - as mentioned earlier above

2) A thorough examination in the clinic by a neurologist followed by undergoing certain relevant investigations as mentioned above can help us in finding out the precise cause for these new symptoms and then treated appropriately

3) In the meantime you may try some of the symptomatic treatments mentioned above and these can help in providing relief from the bothersome symptoms you have been experiencing.

4) And also very importantly, please see this type of health situation can be diagnosed and successfully treated, so please not to be scared or not to lose hopes, an early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick & complete cure so please try to see a neurologist asap and try to undergo a thorough neurological examination & neurological investigations as discussed above - for the best results.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD