Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Eye doctor did a OCT of the optic nerve and said am a

glaucoma suspect. I am only...
Eye doctor did a OCT of the optic nerve and said am a glaucoma suspect. I am only 29 years and my eye pressure is normal. A photo of the OCT report can be seen here: https://i.imgur.com/U0AZoHf.jpg or in the attached photoI have myopia of -1.75 and -1.5. I don't notice any visual loss but I'm scheduled for a vision test in a week. I am really scared in the meantime as I read on the internet it might be a brain tumor. My mother sister's has glaucoma but she's in her 50s and her pressure is not normal like mine. Should I schedule an appointment with a neurologist and an MRI? These things take a lot of time so at least I want to be prepared.What does my OCT report say? What should I worried about? I am really freaking out.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/20/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Sounds like you were examined by an optometrist....

I have reviewed the OCT you provided.

Your nerve fiber layer thickness is perfectly normal.

You cups, while large, do not make you a glaucoma suspect in and of themselves.

So. What is going on?

You most likely have large physiological (IE: Normal) cups.

This is nothing to worry about.

So. What should you do?

If you are worried I'd suggest you consult with an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) but, in the end, I am confident everything will turn out OK.

Make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you for your answer. One last question. Why are there dips in the red area in both eye for Neuro-retinal rim thickness? Is there something wrong with it? I don't know what it is but it scared me.

This is most likely due to your large physiological cups.

I would have to examine you to correlate everything on the the OCT to your anatomy but, that being said, from what you have posted and what this one OCT shows I would not label you a glaucoma suspect.

Make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
But aren't large physiological cups rare? If it happens to not be simply large physiological cups, what are the most common causes?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
The reason I went to the eye doctor was because I started seeing a spot in my vision in low light only while blinking. I also had floaters for over 10 years. Doctor said retina is healthy and that I have pvd. Is the spot (not visible in daylight) something to worry about?

No. This spot is nothing to worry about.

Do not get all bent out of shape over your cup to disk ratio.

I do not believe that this is anything to worry about.

If you find yourself freaking out over this then perhaps a visit to a glaucoma specialist can put your fears to rest.

Make sense?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD