Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Would I have to call ahead to the opthomologist to have a

Customer Question
test for sjogren? Or do...
Would I have to call ahead to the opthomologist to have a test for sjogren? Or do they usually have the test already at their offfice? What does it involve?
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Eye
11/18/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 24 days ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Usually it is a blood test

have you been diagnosed yet?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I did a blood test ANA. It came out weak positive. It did not rule out sjogren. I heard there was a paer strip that opthamologist dabs in eye to tell if you have dry eyes because of sjogren. Also heard that Dentist could do a inner lip biopsy to tell. https://www.physio-pedia.com/Sjogren%27s_Syndrome

There is a much easier way

test for Sjogren's antibodies

SSA and SSB

simple blood test

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
yeah. Opthamologist seems like that would only tell if you had dry eyes....And I don't know about the dentist. Same thing? All I have to do is: After ANA was done, ask my doctor that I am worried about sjogren and have symptoms such as dry mouth and dry eyes and vaginal dryness and that I feel weak with heaviness of legs and arms. If I didn't have these symptoms that are so far unexplained I would be asking for the further testing. Do you think my doctor would understand me?

Yes, I do. Absolutely

or he should understand you

I'm sorry you are suffering so bad

No need to test the eyes or mouth

just get the SSA and SSB level.

they are very specific for sjogren's

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist