Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have a pinguecula that developed a couple months ago. I

Customer Question
Hello, I have a pinguecula...
Hello, I have a pinguecula that developed a couple months ago. I have tried steroid drops and non steroid drops and the redness and irritation keeps coming back. My optometrist recommends getting it removed but I am too scared. Do you have any other ideas on how to get rid of the redness and irritation so I do not have to get it removed? Thank you.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: I have had symptoms for like 3 months. When I used the steroid drops it felt a lot better but once I stopped, it got bad again in a week. And I know I can't use steroids all the time as it is not good for me
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: The lubricating eye drops help as well, for about an hour and then it turns red again
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Eye
11/18/2017
Eye Doctor: Medicaldoctor, Doctor replied 24 days ago
Medicaldoctor

Hello and welcome to justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

To help protect your eyes from pingueculae, shield your eyes from the sun with sunglasses, whenever you are outdoors in daylight (even on overcast days because the sun's UV rays penetrate clouds). Consider purchasing photochromic lenses, which provide 100 percent UV protection.

Continue using lubricating eye drops daily.

Use steroids drops for 2 more weeks.

If this still does not get better and symptoms occur again then you might need to have it removed.Don't be scared as this is a very minor surgery and has no side effects.

Do let me know if you have more questions.

Please do leave a positive 5 star rating by simply clicking on the stars on top left or bottom corner of this thread so that I can be credited for helping you today.

You are not charged for rating positively and I will be here for any follow up questions.

Thank you.

Best wishes.

Medicaldoctor
Medicaldoctor
Medicaldoctor, Doctor