Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My optometrist has recently informed me that I am

Customer Question
My optometrist has recently...

My optometrist has recently informed me that I am cross-eyed. I have alternative exptropia/esotropria. The words sound similar not quite sure which one it was. No other eye doctor has brought this to my attention, therefore my cross eye is not aesthetically noticeable. I was prescribed prism lenses, my doc was hesitant to prescribe as she doesnt want me to develop a dependency. Does wearing prism lens cause my eyes to be dependent? Will my cross eye become worse and noticeable over time if i continue to use prism glasses?

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

I got it checked yesterday, prior to that it was january

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Had a concussion back in december

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 day by:
11/15/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 7 months ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to assisting you.

It is likely that the cross eyes is not visible on routine eye exam and is latent( detected only when elicited). It could be an esophoria ( inward deviation) or exophoria( outward deviation). Sometimes exophoria occurs due to weakness of converging muscles of the eye. Prisms are given to help these muscles to converge the eyes. I don't foresee any harm to the eyes with the use of prism glasses. You can enquire whether eye muscle strengthening exercises would help in your case.

I look forward to answering any other queries in this regard. If this response was up to your satisfactio then do remember to rate it positively.

Thank you and best wishes