Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I was scratched by a bird and was wondering if I should take…

Customer Question
I was scratched by...

I was scratched by a bird and was wondering if I should take any medication or go see a doctor.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I only take supplementary vitamins Not really allergic to medications

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Hmm I don't think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/10/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hi there. Did the scratch break the skin? Did you bleed? What is the health of the bird like?

If the scratch broke skin, just be aware that a disease called psittacosis can be transmitted in this way (or from inhaling dust from dried droppings). Psittacosis is an infectious disease usually spread to humans from infected birds in the parrot family. Birds in the parrot family, or psittacines, include parrots, macaws, budgerigars (parakeets or budgies), and cockatiels. Domestic turkeys and pigeons have also infected people. Bacteria called Chlamydia psittaci cause the disease.

Laboratory tests on blood or respiratory secretions or skin lesions are used to identify the presence of the bacteria in humans and birds. Antibiotics such as tetracycline or doxycycline are often prescribed for treating infected individuals. See a doctor right away if you develop fever, headache, chills, muscle pains, cough, breathing difficulty, flu-like symptoms or pneumonia symptoms.

Does this make sense?

Hello. If you have any additional questions please let me know, I would be happy to help further.

If not, please don't forget to provide a positive rating.

This is the only way physician experts on this site get credit for helping patients.

Best wishes,

Doctor-Bob