Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Can a Technis ZLB00 lens be defective? I am having double…

Customer Question
Can a Technis ZLB00...

Can a Technis ZLB00 lens be defective? I am having double vision when looking out the side of my eye to the left. Looking straight on, the vision is almost sharp, but as I turn my head to the right, and I focus on one object, the object starts getting double and as I turn more the double objects start moving farther apart. Doc says everything is perfect, but it isn't. How would I know if an IOL is defective?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?

It has been two weeks. My head doesn't hurt, but the vision is blurred out of the side. It only happens when I turn my head in the one direction. The object stays focussed if I turn my head to the left.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I have diabetes, but it hasn't affected my eyes. And I have minor dry eyes.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Eye
11/10/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 9 months ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

When was your surgery?

Look on your card and tell me the power of your implant.

What happens when you close your other eye? Does the issue persist?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Thank you. I have the Technis ZLB00 3.25, 18.0D in my right eye, and the Technis ZLB00, 3.25, 16.5D in my left. The left was done on Oct 19, and the right on Oct. 26, 2017. If I close each eye separately, the left is very good on distance and ok on intermediate and close. The right is ok on distance and fair on intermediate and close. It's when I use them together that they conflict. The right eye, when looking left, seems to conflict with the left and messes up my vision. When I look right with both eyes, there is no conflict. When I look at an eye chart with both eyes, the bot***** *****ne sees double. When I look straight ahead, there is a small amount of conflict, but I can see well enough. It's like the lens has a defective left side.
I take medicines for diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol, and Afib.

Thank you for that additional information.

First of all, I would give things at least another two weeks to see if things improve on their own.

And, yes, any lens can be defective......

Your problem may be due to a mild eye muscle imbalance or corneal problem rather then a defect in either of your lenses.

The best way to have this checked is to have your eye muscle balance checked by a pediatric ophthalmologists. I know you are not a child ;) but these doctor are experts on adult eye muscle balance as well as kids issues.....

If your eye muscle balance and the rest of your eyes checks out well then you could have the lenses explanted and new ones placed in your eyes. Once the lenses are removed they can be sent back to Technis to see if, indeed, there are any defects.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Thank you. I really feel the lens is defective, or the doctor did not implant it correctly. I have never had an imbalance in my eyes, per my optometrist, and have never had this double vision problem before the surgery. My surgeon will never admit he made a mistake, nor blame the Technis lens manufacturer, Abbot Labs. That means I will have to pay out of my own money, which I don't have, But thank you for responding. Jim McCurdy

Jim,

Glad I could help.

I wish you the very best.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

there is really no way to tell if a lens is bad while it is in the eye?