Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

The last time I got glasses my doctor said I have the

beginnings of cataracts. He said...
The last time I got glasses my doctor said I have the beginnings of cataracts. He said it won't affect me for a while. I'm wondering if lasic eye correction would help with that. Let me know if this is something to consider discussing with my doctor. I have never had lasic. I know I spelled it wrong.
10/22/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Nope. LASIK does nothing for cataracts.

And, actually, LASIK is not recommended if you have cataracts starting. This is because the cataracts will get "worse" with time and cause your glasses prescription to change.....and make any LASIK you had become "out of date" with your vision getting blurry again in a relatively short time.

So. What is the take home message?

LASIK is not for you. Sorry about that :)

And......your doctor is correct -- there is no rush to have cataract surgery.....just keep getting new glasses as needed and, when they don't help anymore then get the cataracts out.

Make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD