Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Rick :( Laser surgery on right eye in March and numerous

Hey Dr. Rick It's me again...
Hey Dr. Rick
It's me again :(
Laser surgery on right eye in March and numerous questions throughout the year.
SO, my latest question. Some of my floaters in my right eye, not new ones per say, but the clear circular and strand ones that Ive had since March are obviously still there. I don't know if Im hyper focusing but it seems like some of them won't move unless I move my eye...dos this make sense? In the past they seemed to come in my vision and "run away". Now a few seem to come in and sit unless I "guide" them away with my eye. No new hundreds of floaters, flashes, etc. My only other bother is when I'm inside i seem to feel a glare with my right eye especially my peripheral right side. I'm wondering if this is my anxiety...I did finally just start taking meds :)
thanks for any advice as you always have been so kind and helpful through this tough time
10/22/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

That is normal.....movement of your eye can move the floaters or some can stay still.....no problems there

From what you have posted it sounds like everything is fine and there is no need to be concerned.

Hopefully this new medicine will kick in soon and help with your anxiety.

I'm always happy to help you....glad I am online right now so that you didn't have to wait.

Have a good weekend :)

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last two question and I will leave positive feedback :)
1) So the peripheral thing on right corner of right eye...it seems like a glare, cloudy feeling...that is not a new sign of tear or possible start of detachment, correct?
2) In general, even without a tear, If I understand things correctly, I will develop new floaters with time/age?
thanks again and enjoy your Sunday...dont work too hard :)

1. No. I do not believe that it a sign of a new tear or detachment. You don't need to worry about this.

2. At this point you should not get any significant number of new floaters, although the floaters you already have can change shape, merge and pull apart etc so as to seem like they are new....

I'll try. It is nice to have a weekend free of being on call, especially since there is snow in the forecast for Tuesday. Like they say: Winter is Coming!

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh interesting. So in theory can some of the clear clusters break into like grayish strands...that is fascinating
Thanks as always I’m leaving a tip and feedback now

My pleasure :)

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr Rick
I know I left feedback so I understand if you don’t want to answer. I was on a Facebook and blog for retinal tears and detachments. I will tell you it freaked me out and was a horror story. Almost everyone on there had 5-7 surgeries in same eye as detachments kept happening. Both retina docs I’ve been to and the literature I read states that success rates for vitrectomy, bubble and buckle are around 90-92%. Sure felt like it was about 10% with these support groups. I’m going to guess that you would advise me to stay off of them as these are worst case scenarios...in your opinion and experience, are the vast majority successful?

I went to bed as I have surgery this at 6 am this morning :)

It is very rare for my patients to need 5 to 7 surgeries......I'm not sure where these facebook and blog folks are getting their data but it is way out of whack from my personal experience and the published literature.

So....yes.

Stay off these negative-nellie blogs ;)

I'm off to the OR....talk to you later.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD