Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I had vitrectomy surgery to repair a torn retina 7 weeks…

I had vitrectomy surgery...

I had vitrectomy surgery to repair a torn retina 7 weeks ago. A gas bubble was inserted and it appears , in my line of vision, to have shrunk about 93% of it's original size. The small circular shape I am still seeing is mainly dense with a clear center. I made arrangements to fly to another state to visit my son in about 10 days. Is there any way to predict how long it will take for this bubble to dissapate based on my description. And if there is a teeny bubble still in my vision, should I be grounded from flight? Thank you for your assistance.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you experienced any changes or blurriness in your vision? Eye pain? Are your eyes dry or bloodshot?

My eye socket will feel sore as the day goes on. It is slightly red from the surgery area, but my vision from this eye is pretty good.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Stress makes the eye just achy and sore....long hours of work, reading, computer work, meetings, etc.....I have 2 jobs and 3 kids....I use Systane drops 3 or 4 times a day to keep my eye moist.... that helps with an occasional Tylenol.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I am 57 and otherwise healthy......but the torn retina came as a result of a "routine cataract surgery". So I had cataract surgery on August 15th and retina repair surgery on August 26th.

10/13/2017
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr

Welcome to just answer.

The gas that was injected into your eye at the end of surgery, should be absorbed by now. But if a small bubble is left, then it should not come in your line of vision when you are in erect posture (looking straight when sitting or standing). The reason is that the gas is light and the vitreous cavity is filled with fluid. Any small bubble left, rises to the top of the fluid, which is far away from your line of vision. When you are lying down flat, looking up, if that time you are seeing a circle, then it is due to the small gas bubble.

The circle that you are seeing is most probably due to some macular oedema (oedema or fluid in the retinal layers in the macular area). Macula is the most sensitive area of our retina and any fluid or oedema in it is felt immediately by the patient. This can happen after a vitrectomy. The other possibility is development of cataract after vitrectomy. But since, you have had a cataract surgery earlier, that possibility is ruled out.

I would recommend you to consult your retina specialist before flying. You might need investigations like OCT scan of retina to see if there is any fluid in retinal layers.

Hope this information is helpful

Regards

MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr