Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Ophthalmologist I have had twitching in my upper eyelids for

OphthalmologistI have had twitching in...
OphthalmologistI have had twitching in my upper eyelids for the last two weeks everyday. From my understanding, this condition may be Myokymia. I read it is caused by dry eyes, fatigue or lack of sleep. None would apply expect maybe dry eyes. I've been using eye drops but doesn't help. The thing is it's not my only symptom. About a month and a half ago, my vision suddenly became extremely blurry. I can no longer see certain things without glasses. Also, around the same time the twitching started, I started to feel a pinching feeling on my eyelids. I have never felt that before. My eyes have twitched in the past but it would usually be very seldom and would last only a bit maybe only an hour and go away. Now the twitching is almost non stop. The pinching feeling is like my nerves in my eyelids are having spasms. Like pin needles poking my eyelids. What could this possibly be?
10/6/2017
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (non-eye specialty)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

The muscle contractions you feel in upper eyelid is muscle fasciculation or muscle twitch. Twitching is caused by minor muscle contractions in one particular area, or the persistent and uncontrolled twitching of a muscle group in a distribution of a single nerve fiber or filament. Usually they are benign and resolve on their own, but persistent flutter like yours may need following investigations;

1) electromyography (EMG)

2) nerve conduction velocity (NCV)

3) blood electrolytes like calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, etc

4) thyroid and parathyroid function tests

5) blood chemistry and complete metabolic profile

The common causes can be;

1) Idiopathic; no cause is ascertained and majority falls in this group.

2) Increased caffeine intake

3) Increased alcohol intake

4) Medications

5) Deficiency in diet and nutrients / minerals

6) Some neurological diseases; uncommon

Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
What does idiopathic mean? Because I don't drink alcohol nor caffeine no coffee or sugar no sweets. I had blood work done and everything is fine except I'm a little anemic. Also but what about the pinching sensation? Is there a name for hat?
That*

Idiopathic means cause not ascertainable.

Please read this authentic article and under the heading:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4192433/

Fasciculations in healthy subjects

It says;

Fasciculations can also be found in individuals with no neurological disease. In 1963, Reed and Kurland warned that the presence of fasciculations was not necessarily a prelude to the onset of a progressive and lethal disease, due to the involvement of the lower motor neuron (ALS).

These authors, in agreement with others, concluded that physical exercise, stress, fatigue and caffeine abuse can precipitate or aggravate this picture.

Pinching sensation does not have exact terminology but is due to isolated nerve irritation.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
thank you it was helpful

You are most welcome.