Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I woke up and and my left eye felt like my eye lid was half…

Customer Question
I woke up and...

I woke up and and my left eye felt like my eye lid was half closed because the top portion of my eyesight was dark

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eyelid swollen at all?

First time it happened. eye not swollen i used an oil base facial moisturizer - could that have done this

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No - i'm thankfully healthy i'm 51

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Eye
10/3/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now the presence of a sudden impairment of vision which is in the form of a curtain falling over the eye can be indicative of retinal detachment. This is a condition in which the back part of the eye separates and this can lead to even permanent loss of vision as well. The fact that the top portion of your visual field was dark is very suspicious of retinal detachment,. This would be diagnosed with the help of a slit lamp examination and also with other tests. Once diagnosed laser surgery is done almost immediately to rectify the problem.

Using an oil base face moisturizer would not cause impairment in your vision, it can cause swelling of the eye or the eyelid because of an allergic reaction vbuty the vision in that case would not be impaired.

If your symptomns are persisting then you need to immediately proceed to the Er or to your eye doctor for an evaluation however if they have disappeared, you can wait to see your opthalmologist within the next couple of days at the most. Other possibilities can include neurological causes for the transient loss of vision which is known as amaurosis fugax, this usually occurs because of a small blood clot in the arteries which supply the part of the brain which interprets the visual signals and once it is removed, the vision returns, This would be diagnosed with simple MRI and would be treated with various medications.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/