Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question for you so few months ago I noticed I'm…

Customer Question
Good morning I have...

Good morning I have a question for you so few months ago I noticed I'm twitching in my upper left arm and It would come and go and over the last few months I've noticed that it's moving around from my eye lid to my lip to the side of my head to my buttocks and guess what I did I went to search on line and now I'm terrified I have ALS I have no weakness and other signs but this annoying to which the jumping around please let me know what this could be

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eyelid swollen at all?

It's been a few no months and the eyelid is fine

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I get a B12 shot once a month and I'm currently on 5000 mg of vitamin D

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Eye
10/1/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 7 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, I had answered a health question for you before too and I am very glad to help you again with your health concerns.

I see you have been experiencing twitching as you have described above and you are concerned whether this could be als related. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

(Please note my previous user name at this site was “Neuro Doctor” and I have changed it to my last name as above)

I am almost done with my typing I will follow up with you very soon.

Best Regards!

I had answered a health question for your few months ago and that time too you had mentioned your concerns about the muscle twitching. I am sorry to see you are still having them

And this time also it certainly does not appear als related

Now this has been overall going on for few months and still you have not developed any muscle weakness and muscle atrophy etc and this indicates this is unlikely als

If someone has als then they will experience progressive weakness of the muscles as well as progressive atrophy (wasting) of the muscles but you are not having these symptoms

Just isolated twitching that too going on for few months but without development of muscle weakness or atrophy is unlikely due to als

During my previous answer I had provided you with a list of various possibilities that can present with muscle twitching like this and you may please refer to that list to be familiar with the various possibilities for this type of twitching

And treatment wise you may try one of the muscle relaxants like Baclofen or one of the beta blockers like Propranolol or medications like Alprazolam and these can help in controlling this type of muscle twitching

Once again I can very confidently and very strongly reassure you, this muscle twitching certainly does not appear secondary to als, and you may try one of the above mentioned medications to help controlling these twitching, but this certainly does not appear als related, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, have you had a chance to try one of the above mentioned meds to see whether it helps with this annoying and bothersome muscle twitching you have been suffering from? If these meds had already been tried by you then please let me know and I will make some additional recommendations. And I am assuming the nerve and muscle test – the EMG/Nerve conduction test is already done - considering that the twitching has been going on already for few months, but if this nerve and muscle test still has not been done then please try to see a neurologist so that this test can be done asap, but I am fully confident this test will come normal and it will rule out als for sure! The purpose of EMG/Nerve conduction test is to prove that you are indeed not having als, so that you will feel fully reassured!

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss this health situation further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)