Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I went to get a glasses prescription filled at Costco. The

optician there measured my PD...
I went to get a glasses prescription filled at Costco. The optician there measured my PD at 30.0 (right eye) and 30.0 (left eye). The following week I went to my eye doctor to have them verify the prescription in the glasses I received from Costco. The optician (not an OD or MD) there verified the prescription was correct but measured my PD at 30.5 (right eye) and 31.0 (left eye).1. Is this type of variation in PD normal or did one of them get it wrong?2. I already got a prescription filled with the 30.0 / 30.0 measurement. I was now going to get a second pair of glasses as a spare - should I get it with the 30.5/31.0 and use both pairs with different PDs simultaneously, or should I just start over and get two with the same PD? Or, with two different PDs being reported by two different opticians, should I get a third opinion?3. The optician at my eye doctor told me I shouldn't get my prescription filled at Costco because I need a specialist to process my high astigmatism prescription and only they can do it competently; that there was more involved than simply getting the prescription and the PD correct. Is that true or is it a sales pitch?My prescription is attached.
also, both opticians used a digital PD tester
9/27/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Those measurements are close enough.....

1.5 mm difference is not enough a difference to cause you any clinically significant issues at all.

You have a lot of astigmatism but any optical should be able to make your glasses.....

So. What is the take home message?

You can stop worrying about your PD....it is a non-issue.

Get your glasses made where ever you want.

Make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Thanks so much. So, if I got a second pair of glasses and used the 30.5/31.0 measurement would I be able to switch back and forth between those glasses and the ones with 30.0/30.0 without discomfort?

Yes. You should be able to switch back and forth just fine.

But, if you can get them made with the same PD it would probably be better to do that.....just pick either of the values and go with it.

Make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD