Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I went to see nurse at our clinic for what I thought was a…

Customer Question
I went to see...

I went to see nurse at our clinic for what I thought was a stye on the lower lid closer to the orbital bone. It is painful, swollen, I feel pressure, and red. She could not see he stye but said there is an infection going on in my eye. The swelling had continued and finally a little yellow and white stringy mucus discharge came out this morning. She mentioned I should go to the ER if the contintued of got worse. Should I wait it out a little longer or go to medical attention now?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

It started yesterday and hurt more when I close my eye and when I bend over.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take Botox injection for migraines and medications for seizure disorder.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Eye
9/27/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 10 months ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Can you upload a picture of the affected area?

Is your vision reduced?

How old are you?

Do you wear contacts?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

No vision changed but I am sensitive to light. I am 40yrs old. Yes I wear contact but stopped on Monday. I have neck and back injury from a fall (5yrs ago) the discs in my neck and middle of my back are herniated. I still take pain medication and go to PT on and off over these five years.
Do you need another picture?
I dont know if you sent you response?

Thank you for that additional information and pictures.

Sorry about taking so long to get back to you.....I'm oncall this week and got stuck in the OR last night until 11pm :(

That is not a stye.

Looks like you have conjunctivitis or mild episcleritis.

This can be do to many things: Bacteria (yours does not look like bacterial infection in the pictures), a virus, inflammation from your body (autoimmune), allergies, issues with your contacts....the list goes on and on.

So. What is the take home message?

It would be best if you got into see an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) today. Once a proper diagnosis is made the correct treatment can be started.
This is not something you are going to be able to deal with on your own at home.

Make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS