Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Two weeks ago I wore contacts and I thought I took them out…

Customer Question
Two weeks ago I...

Two weeks ago I wore contacts and I thought I took them out because the next morning my vision was unclear until I put my glasses on. Today I went to put in contacts,

Doctor's Assistant: Have you experienced any changes or blurriness in your vision? Eye pain? Are your eyes dry or bloodshot?

I normally wear glasses in the OR, and they came out very easily. I started feeling around my eyes and I beliefr

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

My contacts are still in but I don't want to rip thrm

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Them out and get a corneal ulcer

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Eye
To recap, two weeks ago put contacts in. I thought I took them out before I went to sleep because I woke up the next morning and couldn't really see without my glasses. The other reason I didn't feel I still had contacts in was that my eyes never turned red, itched, or seem to have any sort of infection. I normally wear glasses as I'm in the OR the majority of the week. Today I tried to put in contacts and they kept shifting and came out very easily. I started to feel around my eyes and felt that I may have contacts under my eye lids that I couldn't feel before. I don't know what to do, I don't want to rip them out and risk a corneal ulcer. I've been trying to moisten them with eye drops but it's not working. Please if you have some
Advice on what to asap I would appreciate it. Overall I'm healthy and take no medications. 28 year old white male, 4th year med student going into Ortho
9/26/2017
Eye Doctor: MD Doc, Dr replied 8 months ago
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr

Welcome to just answer.

If you have a pair of contact lenses in your contact lens case, then you most probably have removed them. Having contact lens in the eye for such a long time, with them dislocated under the eyelid is bound to cause some irritation and redness in the eye.

But if you are able to see the lens by pulling away the eyelid, the best way is to lightly pinch the lens between your thumb and index finger especially if the lens is folded. The way to do is to determine the exact location of the lens the in mirror. The look in the opposite direction. If the lens in below the lower eyelid, pull the eyelid down, locate the placement of lens, then look up towards the roof and try to pinch the lens and take out. If the contact lens is not folded, then slowlytry to move the lens into the centre of eye, over the cornea. This you can do again by determining the position of lens, close your eye and then with the index finger on the eyelid slowly move the lens on the cornea by light circular movement. Once it comes on cornea, then pinch and remove it.

But if the lens is under the upper eyelid, it will be difficult to remove on your own, since the lens can go deep below the lid. In that sitiation you would need to go to your doctor and get it removed.

So, first of all, be sure whether the contact lens is still in the eye or not. If it is under lower eyelid, gently try to remove it. Otherwise, go to your doctor.

Hope this information is helpful

Regards

Eye Doctor: MD Doc, Dr replied 7 months ago

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Cheers

MD Doc
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr