Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I had a very bad cough, so bad for about three months I

Customer Question
I had a very...

I had a very bad cough, so bad for about three months I thought I was going to cough my eyes it! I had three trips to the Ed and on the third a doc said I had wheezing and rales . He gave me , over the course of a day three treatments of teva-salbutamol with atrioventricular . The third treatment helped with the lung sounds and he sent me home with puffers salbutamol and Flovent , a Rx for prednisone and an antibiotic. This was some help but the cough still continue

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

I was producing grey mucus. Eventually the coughing subsided. Now. About two months later I have started the coughing again also with grey mucous when I can expell it. I'm taking my puffers again and some expectorant. I'm a retired RN and with the first episode the doc said it was a bronchial infection. Should I just continue with my puffers and expectorant?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Several years ago I was afflicted with bronchitis several winters in a row and then I started to take 1000 mg of vit C and that seemed to fix the problem until this spring when I got this mess which lasted about three months

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Eye
9/25/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (non-eye specialty) replied 10 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (non-eye specialty)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

You were diagnosed as bronchial asthma and medicines for it were prescribed. Your present symptoms can also be same as attacks of asthma are not uncommon. So you may continue the same medicines but following investigations should be done, if not performed earlier;

1) Pulmonary function tests

2) High resolution CT of lungs.

3) Upper GI endoscopy

4) Allergy tests.

The common causes of chronic cough are postnasal drip (also called upper airway cough syndrome), asthma, and reflux laryngitis / gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). These causes are responsible for up to 90 percent of all cases of chronic cough. Less common causes include infections, medications, and chronic lung diseases. Another common cause of chronic cough is nonasthmatic eosinophilic bronchitis. Following causes are usually considered for the chronic cough;

1) Upper airway cough syndrome; they comprise of vasomotor rhinitis; acute nasopharyngitis; and sinusitis. The treatment is by steroid nasal spray or nasal antihistamine. Sinusitis may need antibiotic like trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or cefuroxime.

2) Cough variant asthma; this will require bronchodilator medications used in asthma or steroid inhalers. This in your case has been ruled out.

3) Reflux laryngitis and Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD); treatment is by avoidance of reflux-inducing foods (fatty foods, chocolate), eating five small meals a day without snacking, avoidance of meals for two to three hours before lying down (except for medications), elevation of the head of the bed and an H2 antagonist or a proton pump inhibitor.

4) Postnasal drip; would need antihistamines and inhaled ipratropium bromide.

5) Non specific cough; Dextromethorphan and/or codeine can be used.

Reflux laryngitis or laryngopharyngeal reflux or extraesophageal GERD, differs from traditional GERD in that it does not manifest as heartburn and tends to occur when the patient is upright as opposed to lying flat. This silent GERD can be present in as many as 80% of patients with chronic cough. The investigations to confirm it are;

1) Ambulatory 24-hour pharyngoesophageal pH monitoring
2) Barium esophagography
3) Laryngoscopy
4) Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I was put on two different puffers sambutamol and Flovent to use each day for the diagnosed bronchitis. Shall I just continue this with an expectorant?

Yes, you can continue these with the expectorant.

Please just answer my question here.

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

Dr phophalia, I. M waiting for your answer.l

I am sorry, you could not see the answer above.

Doc phophalia could you also explain why the expectorant I cough up is grey as I've never smoked

There can be two reasons;

1) A very mild infection can color the expectoration.

2) A concomitant acid reflux too can be responsible for the grey expectation.

Sending it for culture is usually recommended.

It is privilege assisting you.

I don't think I remembered to mention this before but when I had the first episode of this bronchitis I coughed so hard continuously I felt my eyes were going to pop out from the pressure exerted and I had just had my cataracts done two months previously so now while coughing l put some pressure on my eyes to ease them. About the phelm, I do have acid reflux for which I take texts and I have no problems with it. I will be very happy when this episode ends and doesn't repeate itself. I have to say, being a retired RN I find it very wearing.
I meant tecta in the last note.

I can understand this is wearing.

You may consider deep breathing exercises.

When you are alright, yoga would be helpful for preventing recurrence.

While nursing I had never experienced anyone with grey phlegm . Is trying to relieve the pressure on my eyes while coughing helpful or a waste of time. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

It is helpful to relieve the pressure on eyes during coughing.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

While I still have the opportunity to 'talk'to you I must mention I have very dry eyes and am now on Restasis which doesn't seem to be very helpful. Is there a waiting period before the effects are noticed?

Restasis usually shows the effect in 2-3 days.

I have to use an over the counter such as sustainer 3 or 4 times a day between the two doses of the restasis qam and qh. Is it worth while continuing it since it is very expensive or keep trying?
Sorry, doc, it I'm a 'very senior ' senior so the call is out of my range but I thank you for your previous help and wish you, too, a good day.

You may just use Systane eye drops.

A positive rating would be appreciated for my time with you.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Stay blessed.