Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I've been having off balance feelings for the last several…

Customer Question
I've been having off balance...
I've been having off balance feelings for the last several years but more recently I've been having this quick ripple sensation in my head like a jolt wave and sometimes head rushes other times I will just have bouts of dizziness. It all feels like it's coming from inside my forehead and eyes. The baseline off balance and dull dizziness that is present most of the time feels almost like kind of numbing or slight vibration or dull buzzing in my head. I also have ringing in my ears. I've had MRI normal. Normal hearing test. No bppv as eply doesn't work and it doesn't happen when I turn my head any kind of way. Normal blood tests. I don't take any medication but a nasal inhaler seasonally and Claritin. Nothing in particular brings on the big bouts of dizziness, the baseline dizziness or the head sensations. Ent thinks maybe a little hydrops in the ear back when it was just baseline dizziness or unbalanced feeling but I think this was just an assumption on his part. I do have allergies and trigemimy (extra 3rd beat), degeneration in the upper cervical disks and low blood pressure normally. I don't get migraines (classic ones). But I recently had an ocular migraine with the colors spinning in circles and clouded over my left eye but only once. I don't know where to turn. Is this vestibular migraine, meneires, cervical, hydrops from allergies or something else?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Eye
9/25/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (non-eye specialty) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (non-eye specialty)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Hello Daina,

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Following are the common causes in your age group;

1) Acoustic neuroma
2) Vestibular neuronitis
3) Inner diseases; mainly these are autoimmune disorders and may have other issues associated like arthritis.
4) Benign Paroxysmal positional vertigo.
5) Migraine
6) Meniere disease.

7) Neuropathy

8) Orthopedic disorders

Following are the investigations which will clinch the diagnosis;

1) audiometry,
2) vestibular tests.

The most commonly performed vestibular tests are as follows:

Electronystagmography (ENG)The rotating-chair test, also referred to as sinusoidal harmonic acceleration (SHA), Computerized dynamic posturography (CDP).
3) blood tests for autoimmune disorders,
4) computed tomography (CT), and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5) The saccadic test
6) The gaze test
7) Pursuit eye movements test
8) Optokinetic Nystagmus test
9) Head shake nystagmus test.
10) Positional nystagmus testing
11) Bithermal calorie test.
12) Rotating chair test.

13) An alternative to the rotating-chair test is the active head-rotation test,

14) Computerized dynamic posturography

An ENT specialist and a neurologist with a Rehab specialist in tandem are involved in the investigative work up and care.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do know what the possibilities are already and I've done some of these tests and seen an ent. I was hoping based on my specific symptoms to get more of a probable diagnosis here
Eye Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 8 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I see you have requested a new expert.

do you have bad anxiety symptoms?

severe anxiety symptoms, bad depression can cause jolt like waves and shocks in the head and brain area and can cause dizziness and off balance sensation as well.

Years ago ( like maybe 10 yrs) I used to have bad anxiety with panic attacks but that got under control and I've not had panic attacks in a very very long time (thank goodness) These symptoms started a couple years after this. The baseline feels like a numbing kind of buzzing feeling behind the eyes forehead and maybe top of cheeks. It actually feels better and almost loosens up the dizzy feeling if I shake my head back and forth really fast like shaking your head with a no gesture. Now the more acute dizzying and the acute brain sensations that doesn't do anything. I am familiar with what the disconnected feeling is as I used to get those out of brain sensations right before the panic attacks but these sensations are completely different altogether and I haven't had those derealization type symptoms in 10 years since the panic attacks stopped. I do get adrenaline rushes of course feel panicked but only after these sensations take place and precipitated by the sensations themselves. What is the biological process that occurs when the waves or jolts happen or why would they happen if it was anxiety related even in a non anxious state? Based on the specific symptoms noted, do you still think this is the cause or likely something else going on? One doc thought it could be vestibular migraine as well? But again no history of migraines. Anything that has visual stimulation sets off like grocery stores or malls or fluorescent lights or stadiums etc. the brain sensations and or head rushes though are just at home when doing nothing in particular. It's very humid right now over the past weeks and I have been waking up very plugged up for over the past couple weeks about the time the waves or jolts started.

we don't know why some patients who have a history of bad anxiety symptoms or severe anxiety can have these brain jolts or shock type symptoms

we do know it is very commonly experienced in patients who have bad anxiety symptoms.

your symptoms don't sound like they are related to a brain tumor or other brain issue

using an allergy medication like allegra 180mg or claritin or zyrtec

and a steroid nasal spray like nasocort or rhinocort could help open up your sinuses and could help your symptoms as well

a course of antibiotics can often treat a sinus bacterial infection and that can help with dizzyness.

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

I already take Claritin and nasal inhailer for years. So you do not think this is inner ear related or fluid in inner ear? Even with the tinnitus as well? How do I prevent these brain ripples? Is there something natural I can take? Or to gain more balance feelings without so many dizzy attacks regardless of etiology? Does hydration or exercise play a role as well? I'm about any or all solutions to try to solve both the brain sensations and the unbalanced feelings that go along with the tinnitus.

it could be due to small amounts of fluid in your inner ear.

sinus inflammation can sometimes make it harder for fluid in the inner ear to drain out.

some people benefit from taking hydroxyzine or Vistaril to help decrease anxiety symptoms and this can also help dry up some of your sinuses as well.

exercise is good for your balance and good for your anxiety symptoms as well.

Would Zyrtec work the same way with less sedating effects? Or not as well ..Or is there anything else that does not cause sedation? Even herbal if not via rx?

zyrtec doesn't do as well to help decrease anxiety symptoms

you can try it

but it is better to help decrease stomach acid.

you can try St. Johns wart

or valarian root supplements

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

No side effects from St. John's? Would you also consider acupuncture for these types of symptoms? Does anxiety cause tinnitus as well? Mind you I'm generally not anxious for many years now..

no real side effects from st john's wart.

you can try accupuncture

anxiety can cause tinnitus

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician