Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

In case someone other than Dr Gupta gets this, here is my

background:I had a vitrectomy 7...
In case someone other than Dr Gupta gets this, here is my background:I had a vitrectomy 7 weeks ago to repair a detached retina due to an eye injury (exercise band snapped in eye). At my 5 week appointment my pressure was good and the retina looked good and flat. I am having some things going on and nobody has really told me what is normal. I am currently on 2drops...Combigan andDorzolamide both 2x daily (dr thought maybe I had pressure when I made call over labor day weekend with nausea and headache, but never tested). My vision at 5 week appointment was 20/40 (could read a few letters 20/35).My vision includes some distortion, a yellowish tint, and both sensitivity to sunlight and less vision in the dark...I feel like I have peripheral vision in the injured eye, but not as good as the other. Likely to stay that way?Lastly, I have heard the word "glaucoma " used a few times by my surgeons and opthamologist...is this likely because of my high pressure or Is it likely that I now have glaucoma? Also, just a few weeks ago my general practitioner prescribed me Xanax for my anxiety...I have only been taking .5 mg at night for sleep, but I read somewhere today that glaucoma and Xanax do not go together???Thank you for addressing these new concerns!
9/21/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

You can take xanax in the presence of open angle glaucoma, which is the most common type and -- if you have glaucoma -- is very, very likely the type you have.

As such, you can take your xanax without any fear.

Of course, if you are still worried, just ask your ophthalmologist.

Make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I know I have to wait for my formal eye exam next week, but my vision feels limited in bottom peripheral and in certain light or certain times of the day it seems as though my vision is "fuzzy" around the outside of my eye. Would that be glaucoma or just trauma?
Ps- would love to leave you a tip!!!

This would not be from glaucoma and is probably just things healing up.

I bet that your pressure is just up from the swelling of the surgery and when all is said and done you will not end up having glaucoma or needing to use glaucoma drops.

Make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD