Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I think I have poison ivy but I never had it like this

Customer Question
Hi , I think...

Hi , I think I have poison ivy but I never had it like this before , my eye and cheek is swollen and the rash on my leg and neck is red , oozing , and hard like people's

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eye itchy?

Started Sunday , been spreading each day

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am taking benidryl and topical cordisone

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Eye
9/20/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually if poison ivy has spread to your face and your cheek and face is getting swollen then it is very likely that you are havinga severe reaction to the poison ivy and in this situation you need to be treated with oral steroids. Secondly if the rash on your leg and neck is oozing and is worsening then it could have gotten secondarily infected by some bacteria. In that case you would need to be treated with topical and oral antibiotics.

Infact the swelling on the face and the cheek can also be due to a bacterial infection which could have spread from the original rash on the leg. If you have a picture of the rash on the leg as well as the face, can you attach it here so i can see the severity of the problem? That will allow me to give you a better recommendation.

Also if you can post a picture, then it is safe to say that if you are experiencing facial swelling then you do NEED oral steroids along with oral antibiotics. Secondly do start using OTC antihistamines like zyrtec in teh morning and benadryl at night time.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Eye Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.