Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I had a retinal detachment in july, and a vitrectomy and…

Customer Question
Hi, i had a...

Hi, i had a retinal detachment in july, and a vitrectomy and scleral buckle to fix it in july. the last couple of days i have had a lightening bolt-like flash in the same eye appear every now and then. i had my retinal doctor take a look at my eye during a routine checkup, but forgot to mention the lightning bolt. he did take a look at my eye and said everything looked stable. I am a little concerned about the lightning bolt flash, and am not sure what could be causing it. I have another appointment with the doctor this Friday, so I will be sure to ask about it then. But in the mean time, I was wondering if this is a sign of an impending re-detachment?

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

Yesterday.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just that i had a procedure for retinal detachment 2 months ago.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Eye
9/20/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 11 months ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

I am currently taking drops of Durezol three times a day, and also drops of Combigan and Latanoprost to deal with any associated spike in eye pressure.
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 10 months ago

It sounds like you are getting excellent care.

A flash of light could be a sign of continued retinal traction. That being said I am sure your surgeon looked at your entire retina during your appointment and if there was anything wrong she would have found it.

So. What is the take home message?

I don't feel you need to worry at this point.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS