Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have struggled with a problem since 2005. I had only

Customer Question
I have struggled with...

I have struggled with a problem since 2005. I had only eosinophilia in 2005 without any other symptoms. My doctor retired and this fell through the crack. About 2007 or 8 I developed lumps in my arms. Bilaterally. I also had other s&s of a possible parasite infestation. Then I developed more symptoms. About 2010 I confided in my family doctor who called me paranoid and refused to help. I am worried about being contagious. I would like to come to the Mayo Clinic for lab work and a possible biopsy on my left upper arm. Can you help me?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Oh my goodness! Yes, indeed! I have changed family doc and he is so nice, but he just gets up close and says that I do not have parasites. NO ONE will order labs. I am a retired RN and I also have extracted 3 small worm-like objects from my eyes in the past year. They were NOT mucous! All three measured about o.5 cm by 1-2 mm wide. They were accompanied by an extreme itch which sent me running to the bathroom mirror. With the 3rd one I had the composure to extract it and place it on a blue lens cleaning cloth and watch it. It started to retract,, one end into the other. Within 2-3 minutes I had only a speck.Not sure if we could get any DNA from this. I still have it around here somewhere. I also had a complete loss of vision after the first two were extracted. this lasted for 2-3 minutes. I was gardening and not driving, thank heavens. My vision went dark for about 1 minute and then I had total optic chaos for another minute or so. This happened last October for the worms and then the loss of vision came in November. I have not driven out of town since for fear of crashing. I am hoping for stool and serum DNA for parasites. One doctor did admit that I needed to have a needle biopsy on one of the lumps. He would not order it as he said it was not his responsibility. I replied, "Needle biopsy? I ready for the scalpel at this point!!" So my best hope is to leave Toledo and come to you to get a fair evaluation of this problem. I have resorted to prayer and after years of wondering, the lumps are downsized somewhat. Within the last year it felt that there was a slice of hard boiled egg and a garden pea under the skin on my large left upper extremity lump.That went away, but the underlying problem did not. Still no sympathy from the various docs. One office now calls me "The Worm Lady". After 45 years in nursing, this is hard to take. I just want to know if I have anything contagious. I understand that some infestations clear without help, and some are not curable. All I want are, hopefully negative lab results so I can get on with my life. I can take Amtrack & Greyhound to come to the Mayo Clinic. I truly would appreciate your help. An old and dear male friend came by the other day. I said, "Rick, I can't even hug you as I don't know if I am contagious." How sad is that. I am 77 years old. I can pay for this out of pocket if necessary. Thank you for listening. Sincerely, ***** ***** Pomeroy PS. I did not scroll back to check for typos. My apology if they are there.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Well at 77, I have a few things wrong, but under control. I will get my list from my purse. 1. Essential hypertension dt kidney damage in 2004. I was hospitalized for a partial colectomy for 8 days. Something damaged my kidneys. I think it might have been the Toridol given to me round the clock while dehydrated. Nothing to eat and sometimes nothing to drink for 13 days prior to the surgery. I had perforated my colon into an abscess. 2. chronic venous insufficiency. 3. Hypothyroidism. 4. Early glaucoma left eye. Pressures were 15 &16 yesterday. Yeh! 5. early pulmonary htn, non-rheumaticmitral regurg, non-rheumatic tricuspid valve insuff., 6. hx renal calculi and hx of passing my gallstones while in the ER. They were in the toilet 48 hours later. The stones did not visualize on the CT. The pain was nearly unbearable. 7. diverticular disease. Surgery wise, I had the partial colectomy in 2004, emergency appe in 2006, ventral post-op hernia repair with mesh in 2 areas July 2014. The hernias were there 4 months post op after the bowel surgery. a Bartholinectomy on the left side 2014, hx of a neuropathy right arm and upper left arm in the fall of 1990. A few other things (closure proceedure on my bilat lower extremities, T&A, tubal ligation somewhere in the 1990's. There is nothing there related to parasites that I can see. All I know for sure is that my eos were 6 with a reference range of 0-2 in May of 2005. It took several years for them to get back to normal. Then I went through several years of things crawling around under my skin. I just got insulted when I complained to the docs. I am so hoping you can help me rule this in or rule this out. I want to hug Rick. I hope he comes back after telling him I might have parasites. I am on 4 meds. Levothyroxine 75mcgm one po qd, hctz 12.5 mg one po qd, Telmisartan 20 mg one po qd, and Clonidine 0.1 mg po q hs.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Eye
9/19/2017
Eye Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

This is not the mayo clinic?

Were you trying to get the mayo clinic?

This is a question and answer site.

In fact, this does not sound like parasite infection.

Have you seen a hematologist?

Would you like to proceed with question and answer?

Dr.Russ, this must be an error. I tried to pull up the Mayo Clinic site and I got JustAnswer. This is not something that can be answered by JustAnswer. The docs in Toledo will not order ANYTHING. No I have not seen a hematologist, nor ID. Please just refund my money. I will try to get on the correct Mayo Clinic site. I thought you were a precursor to an appointment. Thank you, anyway.

I will send a note to the moderators. Customer service must help you.

Good luck.

I don't want this to be part of a question and answer session. I need to see a doctor in person.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist