Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Post traumatic vitrectomy recovery in eye

Customer's question: Had eye trauma 7 weeks back, vitrectomy done, seeing little distortion and blurry vision, seeing floaters, want to know about eye pressure.

Doctor's answer: In patients who undergo vitrectomy, cataract can form early. Whether you have cataract now, depends on whether the lens was compromised by the injury or during surgery. If there is significant decrease in your vision since the last follow up, then cataract might have occurred, but is rare so close to the surgery.

The light floaters are due to inflammation after vitrectomy, which slowly resolves 3-4 months post operative, not to worry on that account.

The shaky vision can be due to anything - inflammation, variation in pressure, dryness etc.

If your pressure is normal now, it is being controlled by the drops.

Read full interaction below »

I had a vitrectomy almost 7 weeks ago to repair a detached retina due to an eye injury (exercise band snapped in eye). At my 5 week appointment my pressure was good and the retina looked good and flat. I am having some things going on and nobody has really told me what is normal. I am currently on 2 drops...Combigan andDorzolamide both 2x daily (dr thought maybe I had pressure when I made call over labor day weekend with nausea and headache, but never tested). My vision at 5 week appointment was 20/40 (could read a few letters 20/35)...although my vision includes some distortion, a yellowish tint, and both sensitivity to sunlight and less vision in the dark.Could I have a cataract formed already?Also, Ihave noticed a few light floaters that fall from top to bottom, but really only notice them when looking into the blue sky outside and closing my good eye. Does this come with the territory?Today, for the first time coming inside from the sunny outside, I loticed what seemed to be my vision in my eye shaking up and down. It only lasted for a moment and I quickly added natural tears as I thought maybe my eye was dry? Thoughts?Lastly, I'm assuming at my 8 week appointment next week if all is well they might take me off glaucoma drops to see what happens. Could I have glaucoma from this accident even if my pressure has been low now for weeks?Thank you!
9/19/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Haven't we discussed this issue in depth on another post....where you did not rate the discussion?

Guess im just asking about the jumping vision.
on my end it says I rated you 5 stars!!
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr

In patients who undergo vitrectomy cataract can form early. Whether you have cataract now, depends on whether the lens was compromised by the injury or during surgery. If there is significant decrease in your vision since the last follow up, then cataract might have occurred, but is rare so close to the surgery.

If your pressure is normal now, it is being controlled by the drops. If your pressure readings come as normal and if there is no significant inflammation in the eye, then maybe one eye drops for glaucoma might be stopped. Yes, a post traumatic glaucoma can occur.

Hope this information is helpful

Regards

MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr
My general practitioner prescribed me Xanax as I was becoming anxious from my traumatic experience. I only take it at night time...but I just read somewhere that Xanax contradicts glaucoma, and I am on the Combigan and Dorzolamide. Should I be taking Xanax? And if not, shouldn't my general practitioner known? Thanks
I don't mind paying again for a response, I just wanted to ask a follow up and for you to be aware of my situation and what I asked before. Thanks!

xanax is contraindicated in angle closure glaucoma or untreated open-angle glaucoma.

You do not have angle-closure glaucoma since it is the open angle which can occur after injury. Also, you are on medication for reducing the pressure, so the rise is pressure by xanax (which is minimal) will not affect

On the other hand, you do seem a little too anxious. Taking xanax at night should help you.

Regards