Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have glaucoma and experiencing lights in my peripheral…

Customer Question
I have glaucoma and experiencing...
I have glaucoma and experiencing lights in my peripheral vision in my left eye, lasts about five minutes, is it due to lights in office at work and working on a computer or when I concentrate. just had my six monthly check up
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Eye
9/13/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually flashing lights can indicate that there is damage to the underlying retina or even to the lens, usually when the intra ocular pressure is well controlled then you would not be experiencing the lights due to glaucoma at all. If the glaucoma is well controlled that is the pressure is normal. Now if glaucoma is ruled out as a cause then flashing lights in the periphery or photopsia, can be due to problems with the vitreous humor of the eye. This is the jelly like material which is present between the cornea and the retina, the inner and outer portions of the eye. This would be due to shrinkage of the vitreous humor or even due to hemorrhages in the region. Usually this would be diagnosed on the basis of a slit lamp examination.

ANother cause of this could be associated not with the eye but due to ocular migraines which can present even without headaches and just with eye symptoms like flashes of light, blkurring of vision etc. this would be diagnosed on a clinical examination and then would be treated with the help of medications to prevent the attacks.

Lastly, flashing lights in the vision can be evident after looking directly into bright lights but it should not last for a few moments and if you are experiencing this even without the bright lights then the above conditions should be evaluated for.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/