Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have a question Yesterday I went to doctor for my eyes for

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a question Yesterday I went to doctor for my eyes for regular checkup. I found that my left eye got high pressure
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: only 2 weeks and no syptoms . There was an abccess in the eye and it got removed two weeks ago
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: after the small surgery they tested vission and presure and it was okey.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually the raised pressure in the eye can be due to a number of conditions but the most likely cause here is that this could be result of the abscess drainage surgery. Sometimes it can take a few weeks for the effects of the surgery to become apparent as sometimes the angle becomes closed because of debris and it takes time for the passage to be closed. High pressure inside the eye is caused by an imbalance in the production and drainage of fluid in the eye (aqueous humor). The channels that normally drain the fluid from inside the eye do not function properly. More fluid is continually being produced but cannot be drained because of the improperly functioning drainage channels. This results in an increased amount of fluid inside the eye, thus raising the pressure. Now the treatment here would depend on the exact value of teh pressure, for example,

If your intraocular pressure is 28 mm Hg or higher, you are treated with medicines. After 1 month of taking the drug you will be re evaluated to see if it is working or not

If your intraocular pressure is 26-27 mm Hg, the pressure is rechecked in 2-3 weeks after your initial visit. On your second visit, if the pressure is still within 3 mm Hg of the reading at the initial visit, then follow-up visits are scheduled every 3-4 months.

If your intraocular pressure is 22-25 mm Hg, the pressure is rechecked in 2-3 months. At the second visit, if the pressure is still within 3 mm Hg of the reading at the initial visit, then your next visit is in 6 months and includes visual field testing and an optic nerve examination.

So basically even if you dont have any symptoms, this would need to be revaluated with a complete examination at varying time intervals depending on the exact value of your pressure. Lastly, it is possible that the raised pressure is UNRELATED to your surgery and it could have developed on its own, which is the case in most of the patients who developed raised pressures.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.