Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had a vitrectomy 5 weeks ago to repair a detached retina

I had a vitrectomy 5 weeks ago to repair a detached retina due to an eye injury. At my last appointment (5weeks), my pressure was good and the retina looked good and flat. I am having some things going on and nobody has really told me what is normal. I am currently on 2 drops...Combigan and Dorzolamide both 2x daily (dr thought maybe I had pressure when I made call over labor day weekend with nausea and headache, but never tested). My vision at 5 week appointment was 20/35...although my vision includes some wavy lines, a yellowish tint, and both sensitivity to sunlight and less vision in the dark. Could I have a cataract formed already? They didn't say anything at my five weks about a cataract...they said all looked clear. I also have some aching in the eyebrows, behind the eye, and at the brigde of my nose, along with some eye twitching...does any of this come with the surgery/trauma? Can I also have glaucoma issues when my eye pressure is at 19 in both eyes? Maybe this all comes with the surgery, but nobody really explained what I should expect and give me a time frame as to when things could happen or get better if they are supposed to. Thank you!

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

I am a retina surgeon.

How long did your gas bubble last?
Do you know if your surgeon used SF6, C3F8,C2F6 or air?

Or didn't you need any gas?

Did you also have a scleral buckle placed in addition to your endolaser?

When was your eye pressure last checked? Were you on the drops at the time?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had vitrectomy with gas. No buckle. Was face down for 7 days. I would say the gas stayed in my eye for approximately 2 weeks. I have allergies...I take zyrtek otc 1x daily, along with nasal sprays fluticasone and azelastine daily. Had nasal surgery in February 2016. I also take xanax as needed for anxiety. Pressure was last checked 9/7 (5 week post surgery) and I was on Combigan and Dorzolamide 3x daily when it was checked...both eyes were 19.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dr at 5 weeks said everything looked clear, so would he have seen a cataract if I had one?

it was probably SF6 then.....

Let me go over your concerns:

As to your pressure it was "normal" on the drops.....it is hard to say how high it might be off the drops...bot***** *****ne? Keep using them.

Your vision is very good for this soon. Do not worry about the mild wavy lines or tint.
The light sensitivity is probably due to post op swelling and inflammation. This should pass with more time.

You WILL get a cataract but, unless your lens was impacted during your surgery I very much doubt you have one yet. (unless you had one forming before your retina work)

As to your aching eyebrows, discomfort behind the eye and bridge of your nose, that is not a sign of anything wrong and is nothing to worry about.....

So. What is the take home message?

You have an extremely good visual outcome just a short 5 weeks post retinal detachment repair.

Keep using your drops, follow up as scheduled.

Do not worry...... just chill out :)

And, yes. You will get a cataract but not for a couple of years or so.......no need to worry.

Sounds like you are in excellent hands.

Make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks doc...just one other thing. I have heard cataract surgery can be trickier if there was a previous detached retina.,,what can you say about this? Aslo, since I'm high anxiety, I did appreciate your message of "chill out!" :)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are the eyes trying to work together, especially with a wrong prescription in my glasses for that eye possibly contributing to some discomfort/pain?Thanks!

that is true...that is why you should have an experienced cataract surgeon do your surgery....not a surgeon just out of training.... :)

No need to get anxious about it...

Also, new glasses, when your eyes are healed enough, will get them working together just fine.

Did I mention that you should stop worrying? ;)

Oh ya. And stop worrying....

Have a good week.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Doc...I was a bit more relaxed today! There are 2 other things I wanted to run by you...(1) I forgot that after my injury, my surgeon spent 15 minutes with a laser in my eye trying to repair what he thought was a tear, only to tell me that it was a detachment and I would need surgery 2 days later. Do you yhink the laser prior to surgery could have any effect on my outcome or vision? (2) my pupil in my bad eye is larger that the pupil in my good eye...is this any reason gor concern?Thanks!

the laser didn't hurt a thing...

Don't worry about your pupil....