Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

I have developed a very hard lump on my eye socket bone

Customer Question

I have developed a very hard lump on my eye socket bone almost to the outside corner of my eye. Do you have any idea what this is?
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: I went to my eye doctor last week and he ordered a CT of my orbital and a bone density scan, results came back good. He also did an eye exam. I go back to see him in 2 days to have my eyes dilated.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

Is it only on one side? And when you touch it how large does it feel?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's on one side about 1.5cm
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

The size is fairly small. It is unlikely to be anything serious since lymph nodes wouldn't be present there. If it's adherent to the bone then it would be incredibly painful. If it's what we call "embossing" then that's just an overgrowth of bony and is painless and benign.

With the CT normal I suspect it's the latter.

Has it grown much in size recently or stayed the same?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It seems like it as grown a small amount. It is very noticeable...
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a picture that I can view?

If it isn't growing rapidly that's a good sign.

If it's a cosmetic problem you can have an ophthalmologist who specializes in cosmetic work shave the bone done. During that process they would even take a biopsy.

And ENT will do this as well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have been going to an ophthalmologist and going back to him tomorrow. I do have constant migraines.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

I don't believe the migraines would be from this. Migraines are often due to vessel spasms in the head and sometimes associated with muscle spasms in the face or neck.

It's great that you have follow up with your ophtho, they should definitely be able to point you in the right direction.

However, in case you are concerned about something serious, I don't think this is anything of that nature based on my experience with such presentations.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

If you don't have further questions, please click on "Rating".