DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My friend had a benign tumor removed from the front of his

Customer Question

My friend had a benign tumor removed from the front of his skull 6 months ago. Over the past month, he has had eye swelling
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: First was the left eye, they it puffed up between the eyes then transfered to the other eye Yes, and at one point, when it first happened, we took him into emergency and they just gave a antibiotic that helped, but the swelling came back when he got off of it
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing that would cause this
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.

What is your question?

What do you mean by eye swelling, the lids?

Has he followed up with his surgeon?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When it started happening, his left eye was swollen shut for a week and a half
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.

Please answer my questions above. There are three of them

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Then we noticed that swelling was moving to the other eye because of some slight swelling between his eyes just above his nose. Then the swelling went to the right eye.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.
What is your question?What do you mean by eye swelling, the lids?Has he followed up with his surgeon?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The prescribed a antibiotic at that time and the swelling went down. They took a CT scan and noticed some brain swelling that they said was normal after the tumor was removed.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.

I am not sure you are seeing my posts. ARe you? I will post my questions again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can the fluid around the brain cause the eyes to swell?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.

Is it the eye lids that swell?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
has tried to contact his surgeon, and he is told that he would call him back, but he has not received a phone call since he called two weeks ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not the eye lids, but the area around the eyes below the eyebrow and under the eye where a person without sleep would show dark marks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 month ago.

Brain swelling or surgery would not cause the eyelids to swell.

This is most likely either:

infection of the eyelids and lashes.

Allergy.

Often it is viral infection, but if antibiotics helped, for whatever reason he is getting a blepharitis. Infection of the lids.

If it is not the lids, and is the other thing you describe, then, it is more likely:

allergy

renal disease

Heart disease

He needs to figure out his exposures, if his immune system is suppressed, which is likely, and talk to his doctor about a cream or drop he can use in the eye.

He needs to have his kidney function checked, also thyroid testing, and an EKG

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually at the top of the page]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed