Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

What is the best treatment for a stye?

Customer Question
What is the best treatment for a stye?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Eye
9/7/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually the best treatment for stye is to apply warm compresses over the area which helps in reducing the swelling and also provide comfort to the swollen eye. Usually antibiotics are NOT needed except for in severe cases where the warm compresses have failed to work in reduce the swelling in 4-5 days. In case the antibiotics dont work and the pus point enlarges in size, then lancing it may be necessary. However by far the best and most effective treatment for stye is to apply warm compresses and usually not other treatment is necessary. If the area is very swollen you can pair the warm compresses with OTC anti inflammatory medication like ibuprofen at a dose of 200 mg thrice daily for 3 days.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.