Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Went to a Retina specialist and was told retina is slightly

discolored and it may be...
Went to a Retina specialist and was told retina is slightly discolored and it may be genetic or an early problem sign. This is in both eyes and I'm 42 years old. Just curious if I should be concerned?
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: Just today Vision is fine. Had cataract surgery in April. Went to Retina specialist about floaters. He didn;t seem that concerned with the retina color, but didn;t have past history
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: had FOV in 2005, but everything was fine until cataract surgery and floaters from YAG capsulotomy Just mentioned the slight issue with retina color and it has me concerned
Again, the retina specialist just called that out with some other measurements for reference. Problem is in both eyes and may be genetic, but no one ever mentioned it before.
I've been to several doctors as well. As I had the cataract surgery and then saw a specialist who performed YAG and then a retina specialist today. The specialist today is the only one mentioned the retina being slightly discolored. Other doctors 3 of them said eye was healthy.
Curious if these things happen quickly or if the slightly discolored macula is normal and if I should be concerned
.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/6/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I am a retina specialist.

Do you have a fundus photo showing the color of your retina?

Other than what you have already mentioned, do you have any ocular issues?

How long ago were you told about this color thing?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Thank you for the questions and response.Do you have a fundus photo showing the color of your retina? I was told today by a Retina specialist and he didn't seem to think much of it as of now as he said slight discoloration. It has me worried and he said since he didn't have any history as it was my first appointment that he couldn't tell if that is the way it always is or not. I have been to three different doctors one for cataract surgery, then a specialist to fix the mistakes and a third to do PRK as they didn't get the right power.Other than what you have already mentioned, do you have any ocular issues? Floater from YAG laser and on the Answer grid it is not blurry, but not all white spaces are pure white. Looks like every other line is a slight different color, but my guess is that's normal.How long ago were you told about this color thing? Just at appointment today. I asked two other doctors if they noticed the same thing. My thoughts are maybe a vitamin is causing it like MSM, Hylauric Acid(sp), Taurine, or eating lots of carrots if it is very recent. Other cause is a shame my head a lot to get floaters out of my vision and worry that a violent shale now and then could cause issues.Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications? No other medical issues.

Thank you for that additional information.

From what you have posted, and given the excellent exam you had with a retina specialist, I do not believe you have anything to worry about.

In my almost 30 years as a retina surgeon I can tell you that it is not unusual for someone to have a slight discoloration of their macula in an otherwise perfectly normal exam.

So. What is the take home message?

Do not worry and put any concerns that you might have out of your mind.

Follow up as recommended by your ophthalmologist.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Thank you for the answer.

My pleasure.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I did have another question on if floaters after YAG are likely to go away. I had YAG 8 weeks ago and floaters have not clearedAlso where do you click to send this
to send tips

YAG capsulotomy will not decrease floaters.

And I do not recommend YAG laser for floaters as it really doesn't work.

Floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I only do this procedure to remove floaters in extreme cases.

In January 2013 a new drug, called Ocriplasmin, was approved by the FDA to dissolve vitreous strands in a particular eye condition called vitreomacular traction. Perhaps someday this drug could be used to also remove floaters…. Only time will tell.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

There should be a place on the rating page, or right after you give positive feedback, for you to leave a tip

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD