Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I had a vitrectomy (with gas bubble) on August 3 to repair a…

I had a vitrectomy (with...
I had a vitrectomy (with gas bubble) on August 3 to repair a detached retina from an injury. I just had my 4 week postop appointment on Thursday August 31 and everything was going well. The Dr decreased my P. Forte and took me off Diamox during that appointment. Today (3 days since my last appointment), my eye feels like there is some pressure in there, I feel nauseous, and my vision is a bit more blurry. I called the Dr and he put me back on the Diamox for today and uped my Comigan doseage from 2x daily to 3x daily. Does this sound like increased pressure or another retina detachment? I'm not seeing any bright lights or anything. Thanks!
9/4/2017
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr

An increased intraocular pressure (IOP) is a common problem after vitrectomy with gas bubble. Usually, the IOP gets controlled after 4 weeks or so, when the bubble gets fully absorbed. In some patients, the IOP or pressure might take time to come down post operative due to inflammation. No need to worry, slowly the pressure will get controlled as the inflammation subsides.

In retinal detachment, you will not feel blurring but sudden profound decrease in vision or loss of vision.

Hope this information is helpful

Regards

Because I had an injury and subsequently surgery, how long should it take for inflammation to come down? My Dr (on call) put me on Combigan and Dorzolamide yesterday mid day, so when should I expect the pressure to come down from those drops? Also, besides blurred vision, what else should I expect as a result of the elevated pressure now 4 weeks post operation?

Whenever a surgery is performed after an injury, it takes longer for the inflammation to resolve. In most cases the inflammation reduces substantially by 6-8 weeks. rarely it can take 3-4 months.

A combination of dorzolamide, combigan and diamox is very good to reduce the pressure in the eye. If you started the medicines yesterday, then pressure should come down within 24 hours. Besides blurring, headache, difficulty tolerating light are some of teh symptoms seen with increased pressure.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Cheers

MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr