Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I went to see the eye doctor about a epiretinal membrane…

I went to see...

I went to see the eye doctor about a epiretinal membrane surgery and he gave me a kenalog injection instead.

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

Its been 2 weeks already and my vision does not improve and my injected eye is smaller and still with floaters.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had the retinal detachment surgery 15 years ago.

9/4/2017
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr

In patients of ERM (epiretinal membrane), sometimes there is oedema or collection of fluid in the layers of retina. That is the main reason for decrease in vision. The kenalog injection is given to reduce this oedema or fluid collection. The effects are fully evident after 6 weeks of injection. If the oedema decreases and the epiretinal membrane is thin, leading to improvement in vision, then you might not need immediate surgery. But if there is no response to kenalog injection, then you might need ERM peeling done by surgery. I would advise you to wait for 4 weeks more. Just watch for symptoms like - sudden profound decrease in vision, sudden increase in floaters than before or a feeling like curtain has come in front of your eye. Then you need to consult your eye doctor immediately, otherwise go for your follow up as advised. If a OCT scan was done before the injection, then one will be repeated on the next visit to look for any decrease in oedema.

Hope this information is helpful

Regards

My doctor told me he was trying to avoid the ERM surgery because I had the retinal detachment surgery before so he did the injection instead. So if the problem persist what would be the other alternatives?
Also why is my injected eye getting much smaller than before even after 2 weeks?

If the injection works and your vision improves, then you would not need surgery. You might need to repeat the injection after a year or so, if the oedema comes back.

But if the injection fails, then the option is surgery - ERM peeling and vitrectomy

Your eye should not change in size. Sometimes, there is minor swelling around the eye in response to the injection. If that is the case, then it should respond to cold compresses and oral anti inflammatory like ibuprofen. But if the difference in size persists or increases even after the medicine, then you need to consult your doctor for a first hand evaluation

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Cheers

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be very appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance until a positive rating is given.

Regards

MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr