Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have had vision problems for en entire month now. Both…

I have had vision...

I have had vision problems for en entire month now. Both eyes are crystal clear when I close them one at a time, when I open them together I cannot focus and the right eye has a "dull" feeling. I was told they are ocular migraines wth auara but it is 24/7. Is a visual "disturbance" normal for that long with ocular migraine?

Doctor's Assistant: What confuses you? When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

I cannot focus on anything. I've had my vision checked 3 times this month and saw another eye specialist that said every test showed nothing. My prescription was adjust but still have this "off" feeling. It all happened suddenly one day and hasn't stopped since

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I've seen allergist, gyno, my pcp, had blood work for thyroid, diabetes, etc. MRI. All normal

8/25/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

How old are you?

Male/Female?

Do you wear glasses or contacts?

Do you have any other symptoms?

Did you see an ophthalmologist?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

I am 30, .
I wear contacts, -8.0 in left eye, -8.5 in right
I have occasional headache but not anything extreme. Sometimes my vision gets blurry, but will go back to clear but still can't focus.
Yes I've seen an ophthalmologist .
No medications, but was diagnosed with migraines

This does not sound like migraines to me as migraine problems do not last this long....

It is very difficult to say with any certainty what is causing your "dull" feeling in your right eye.

The most plausible cause would be an anterior segment/dry eye issue/blepharitis. It might even be some form of an allergic issue as well...

The good news? There is a home therapy you can try that may help. Please allow me to explain:

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production and the use of a medication called restasis to improve your tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose. If this does not give relief then your eyelid opening can be made smaller with surgery (lateral Tarsorrhaphy).

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I understand that this treatment seems a bit "too low tech" to be of value, but after 2 decades of clinical practice, I can assure you (even from personal experience :) that it does, indeed, work.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Thank you! I will def try those things. I am relieved to hear you don't think they are from migraines, I did not think they lasted that long either. Thanks again!