Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Thursday AM i woke up with a dry eye that was red in the

Customer Question
inner corner. friday morning i...
thursday AM i woke up with a dry eye that was red in the inner corner. friday morning i woke up and it was still red so i used some dry eye drops. it was better friday night and the redness had subdued. then saturday i woke up and it was still a little red so i put 20 drops in and my eye got super inflamed and irritated. today (sunday) i woke up it's still a little red so i put 20 more drops in and it got bright red. i've been flushing it and now it's starting to clear up a little. i have no discharge or pain. my question is do i have pink eye or did i just severely irritate my eye with too many drops?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/21/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for sme time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually if you had a pink eye then you would have symptoms like pain, irritation, redness, watering and possibly even discharge from the eye, usually pink eye would manifest itself within a couple of days and progress over the course of a week. Now in your case, the worsening seems to be happening after using the eye drops that you have mentioned, so it is possible that you could have simply irritated the eye which would usually subside over time. the best way to determine if this is irritation or a pink eye would be to stop using the drops and then observe the eye for 24 hours, if the redness seems to be subsiding then it is likely that the problem is due to irritation by the drops themselves. However if the redness persists then it is likely that you may have developed conjunctivitis (pink eye) and in that case you will need to have this evaluated by visiting your doctor. In the meantime, start using OTC antihistamines like claritin or zyrtec which would help in reducing the symptoms in either case.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Hi, I woke up today and my eye looks much better, it still has some redness but looks 10 times better than yesterday. it was tearing a bit this morning though then stopped. is that indicative of pink eye or my eye is just healing itself from the eye drops

I think this is a sign that the eye is healing itself from the irritation caused by the eye drops. Hold off on them and at the rate that it is improving i think your symptoms should resolve within 24 hours.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor