Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had a question on lasik. I had lasik 7 days ago and

hi, i had a question...
hi, i had a question on lasik
JA: Have you experienced any changes or blurriness in your vision? Eye pain? Are your eyes dry or bloodshot?
Customer: yes, I had lasik 7 days ago and although I am experiencing great vision I have a question about an issue for you does lasik cause nerve damage to the cornea nerve and is that why i am experiencing dry eye?
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: good for the most part, but I have a little blur at times and fluctuates at times which I have been told is normal for the begin of lasik
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, I just want to understand if nerves are destroyed thru lasik and if that is why I'm experiencing dry eye
8/12/2017
Dr. Longo
Dr. Longo, Optometrist
Hello my name is***** LASIK, some corneal nerves can be damaged during the procedure. This can result in dry eye temporarily for a month, a year, or long term. It's too soon to tell how long it will last. But it is completely normal for this procedure.Dr. Longo
Well do the nerves grow back? This doesn't really say much. Of course this was never explained to me so now I'm f**ked and have to live the rest of my life with issues..Great!!!
The nerves regenerate to an extent. Most people recover completely. It's typically not recommended to do lasik on patients with pre-existing dry eye that are not stablized with treatment. But for every patient that undergoes lasik, dry eye is a normal part of recovery.
Dr. Longo
Dr. Longo, Optometrist
When you say extent what would that be? About around how they were before lasik? Why is this not explained to patients? Do majority of patients get out of their dry eyes period or are they domed to eye drops for the rest of their life? When can I expect to feel myself again? Just need some reassurance right now. Been depressed lately but it is only 8 days since. Would you recommend lasik? Do you know of ppl that are happy with outcome?
Dr. Longo
Dr. Longo
Dr. Longo, Optometrist