Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Just received my new progressive lense glasses. I have been…

Just received my new progressive...
Just received my new progressive lense glasses . I have been wearing progressive lenses for over 20 years wo any problem. The frames were always!!! Set at the top of my nose bridge with frames tight sgsintmy face. I recently had cateract surgery in both eyes and have the prescription from the optometrist who works with the optomologist that did the surgery. The optomologist is s long way from home do I went to a highly rated optomoltrist with my petscription and had the optician order the glasses. My question? The optician said my glasses should not be sitting at the top of my nose bridge , but down a little on my nose . I would estimate 1/4 inch. I don't understand why the optician did not set the glasses at top of nose like it had always been located. Is it unusual to set it down about 1/4 inch ftom top of nise bridge??? I have never heard of this or had it for like this ??? Any info to help indetstandsiykd be appreciated. I do expect to ask her after i wear the glasses for a week or so.....
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/6/2017
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It is correct that the glasses usually sit a little bit down on your nose....

That being said, if you like to have your glasses set tight against your face there is no reason you can't have them fit this way.

I suggest you go back to the person who made your glasses and just request that they do this for you.

This is a simple adjustment and should be quick and easy for them to accomplish.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Allow again Dr. I had no idea that glasses usually sit down a bit . I never had it done this way and donor recall others had it done this way. I do wonder about the SEG height. Pushing the glasses up to the top of my nose bridge will change the seg geight., won't this he a problem . All I see in the literature says the ..seg height , setting is important when making the glasses??? Also ( if it's important), the distance setting with the lenses used for the cateract surgery is 1(one) meter for both eyes. The optomologist calls this a setting for social distance. -Marty

Marty,

with progressives moving them up on your nose might cause an issue with the SEG height but, then again, it might not.....

one meter is a good setting. But, you can have them set wherever you want....

It is not rocket science...and the good news? It can be easily changed. :)

Make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD